Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Grammys 2012

     Originally, I wrote out a lot of what I saw on the 54th annual Grammys with my little comments, but then I came to a little problem. When I copied and pasted from email (after having my mom proof-read it for me), it only comes up as a big white block. So I literally have to retype every single word. I decided it would just be easier to keep certain parts of it.


     Bruno Mars took the stage in a very flashy performance of a song I had never heard before. Considering the fact that I don't really like his music, it wasn't too bad. The thing was, there were so many bright lights and so much gold that it really hurt my eyes. It was so flashy and bright that it was almost like looking into the sun. I should probably get my eyes checked. It was pretty funny when he told everyone to "get of their rich asses and celebrate the music and Whitney Houston" though. The best part, for me, was that my mom thought he was a girl.

     Jack Black was outside of the building, as an announcer. I don't know most of what he said but I did catch "The Grams" a lot. I can only assume that "The Grams" means "The Grammys", but it's Jack Black, so there's really no telling what he meant. My mom has a theory he wasn't even allowed in, but I'm not so sure.

     Rihanna and Coldplay performed together right after the commercial break. It started with Rihanna being alone on the stage, surrounded by firework-spark-things and sounding very whiny. I still can't make any sense of it. The song then picked up beat, gained back-up dancers, and back up-singers. It was okay, but a little repetitive. However, I'm not sure some of the dance moves are even allowed on TV, for fear of scaring or corrupting young audiences. Once Coldplay joined the performance, it was a lot better, but the damage with the dancing had already been done.

     Nicki Minaj's performance was... I don't even know the word. It started out with something that reminded me of I Feel Pretty from Westside Story. Then it went into some weird scene called The Exorcism of Roman that looked like The Exorcism of Emily Rose. The the actual performance started, with her strapped to some table but sitting up, surrounded by people in religious type clothing that were dancing around before Nicki broke free. Then they started singing a prayer or a hymn before going back into rap while Nicki was lifted off the ground, asking for her mother's forgiveness? It's not something I understand, like the lyrics to the song. It seems she has talent but she's just not using it right. It also appeared that she's a Lady Gaga wanna-be, but hey, I know nothing about her.

     These are my most memorable moments from the Grammys, along with the memorial for all of those in music who passed away within the last year, including Amy Whinehouse and Whitney Houston. I didn't get to type all of the names of those who passed away, but my prayers are with their loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment