Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My New Home

     I have had a fairly boring day. I woke up to a text from my Daddy and he told me to call him, but I had to do other things so I did those other things. (The other things include showering, applying make-up, doing my hair, and then going to the orthodontist to have the rubber band on my tooth reapplied because it was coming off for some unknown reason.) After that, I called Daddy.

     My dad's dad is my Pawpaw. He's had a lot of health problems, including cancer and diabetes. Do to the fact that Daddy never texts me so early in the morning unless something is wrong, I knew either Pawpaw was in the hospital or Memaw (my dad's mom) had broken something (she's broken her foot like three times before it could heal). Since he hadn't called, but texted, I knew it wasn't a huge emergency.

     It turns out, Pawpaw had to get his gallbladder out. He's in the hospital for observation for a few days, but everything went well. I was asked about school. I said that my throat hurt. Then we got off the phone because he had to go back to work and I don't think either one of us have the ability to hold long phone conversations (except when I talk to Sissi or Sis; we literally talk until somebody falls asleep).

     After that, Momma and I went to Wal-Mart. I mentioned before that I'll be moving out soon. I'm only moving next door. "Well, Rachel, what's the point of moving out?" Oh, I'm glad you asked (every single one of my mom's friends). I am moving out because I would like space, independence, and the ability to say that I am an actual adult.

     One of the deals to get my new home is that I have to fix it up, instead of paying rent right away. This is not a problem for me. My mom is helping me. Well, it's mainly my mom's friends, since they're doing the work. The lady who got me the job and her husband have been working there almost every single day. Of course, they're getting paid, but I was originally going to help out before I got sick and they did almost everything in a week.

     When I first took the home, there were many, many, many things that were wrong with it. For starters, it some how smelled so badly that it was checked for dead bodies. (No dead bodies were found, aside from roaches and spiders.) The locks needed to be changed. The windows were insulated so that it was almost pitch black and they were rusted shut. The previous window A/C unit was stolen. Three doors and two walls needed to be put up for privacy in the bathroom and two small bedrooms. The bathroom sink had a hole so huge I could see the pipes underneath. The cold caused the pipes to bust and the water to stop working. Bugs were EVERYWHERE.


     There are no more live bugs. Thanks to the bug killer guys, all the bugs are dead. I also have a few traps over there, just in case that one or two managed to escape. That mainly left bug bodies but those have really been cleaned up as well.

     The locks were changed, but I want more installed. That is supposed to happen some time this week, but the rain and storms we're supposed to have are supposed to be when the guy gets off of work, thus it may have to wait a little bit longer.

     The source of the terrible, horrible, and nose-bleed-inducing smell was from the carpet padding. That was ripped up, the floors and walls were bleached, and then the smell went away. Unfortunately, the floors need a layer of plywood for extra strength, but that's supposed to happen at the end of the week.

     The bathroom sink will be replaced in a couple of weeks, when I save up enough money. The walls and doors will also be put up, probably around the same time. Almost all of the window insulation has been ripped out (which I got to have a hand in doing before I got sick). The windows now open, but they'll have to be replaced before the walls and doors are installed. Sadly, they won't stay open, and it is a fingertip hazard to try to open them. That shouldn't be a problem though; plus, I can add screen.

     Anyways, I bought paint a few weeks ago, for the livingroom, kitchen, hallway, and the cabinets. I was so excited about that, that I didn't know what to do. When I was asked if I was going to keep the stove, I got all squeaky and happy and hyper because I got to make my first real decision about my new home.

     When we went to Wal-Mart today, I had to pick up a new mop for cleaning and some water because the guy who can fix the pipes hasn't had time yet but gallons of water are needed for cleaning. Then I realized I could actually buy other things- things that I will need when I move.

     I got to buy my first set of dishes today. (Granted, later I decided that since it's only enough for four, I'll need to get more soon.) I got to buy a set of pots, pans, and cooking utensils. Plus, I got to buy cabinet knobs so I can open my kitchen cabinets.

     This may seem boring or like it isn't a big deal, but I'm really freaking happy and excited about this. I'm so much closer to being on my own than I thought I ever would be by this point. I can't even believe it.

P.S. I was just as happy when I discovered that I had TWO whole comments on my last post. Those were my first two comments and I was so unbelievably happy that I couldn't even process it.

No comments:

Post a Comment