Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pet Peeves (Part Two: Stupid Drivers)

     Welcome to the second part of my pet peeve rant post things. I'm not really sure what to call it yet. If you haven't read the first part, please click here to read about questions that drive me insane. This one is a little bit different. Stupid drivers. Anyone who has ever been in a car has most likely encountered them. I'm pretty sure they drive everyone mad.

     The main thing about this stuff is that people can be seriously injured or killed because of idiots. I know a girl who recently lost one of her very best friends. He pulled over to check on a car wreck. On his way back to his car, he was hit by another driver. He spent a day in a coma but it was too late to save him. If people just pay attention, a lot more people would survive.

The Dumbass Daredevils
     These are the people who will sit at an intersection and patiently wait for a chance to turn into the lane. Then just as you're coming up the road, with nobody ahead of you for two miles, they decide that there is no better time than that exact moment to slam their foot down on the gas and swerve in front of you. A lot of this times, this can cause you to swerve off the road to avoid them hitting you. Other times, this can cause you to get T-boned.

     Let me explain something about these outcomes... THEY ARE VERY BAD. It is not good when a car wrecks. I don't care if you're looking for an adrenaline rush or whatever. Go do something that won't cause potential harm to somebody else. Watch what the freak you're doing and look out for other people.

The Indecisive Idiots
     These are the people who just cannot make up their minds with the thousands of possible options for driving on a road. Do I slow down? Do I speed up? I should be in the right lane. No. Wait. Left lane. No.. Right. Shit, I don't know! Please, let me explain something to you. There are signs that tell you where you need to be and what you need to be doing in order to get to the destination of your desire.

     Of course there are the people who are new to town or just passing through. It's understandable if they have to swap lanes a couple times because they have no clue where to go. When you're just going back and forth like a ping-pong ball, though, it gets ridiculous. Make up your mind before you cut somebody off or run somebody off the road.

The Stupid Speeders
     These people include people who pay no attention to the speed limits and tailgaters. They are the people who will go forty miles per hour in a school zone. They're the people who will ride your tailgate so that when somebody ahead of you slams on their brakes, leaving you no choice but to do the same, they run into you and cause a wreck.

     Two weeks ago, I was almost T-boned by a speeder. I looked both ways, didn't see any traffic, and proceeded to go across the intersection in my mom's car. Then a speeder came out of no where when I was halfway across the road. I'm a new driver so I actually stomped on the brakes instead of the gas (I know, that was stupid, I should have moved) but luckily, they also stomped on the brakes. This was my first real near accident so it was scary as heck for me.

The Oblivious Imbeciles
     I have a little story for this one. Last month, my mom and I were coming out of a store from grabbing dinner. We only had like three bags so we left the cart inside and went into the parking lot to find our car. I don't remember what we were talking about, but we were having a (probably amusing) conversation when we saw a large SUV-type vehicle with the engine running but it was still in park. We stopped to see what the driver was going to do and after the brake lights didn't come on, Mom led the way in front of her.

     Mom was about halfway behind the SUV and I was a little behind her. (If I remember correctly, I was wearing heeled boots that were hurting my feet and caused me to walk slowly. I could have also been replying to a text and not realized Momma was walking yet. I'm not entirely sure. The point is I was about eight feet behind her.) Then the brake lights on the SUV lit up and the driver started to back up.

     I yelled for my mom to look out, loud enough that the driver actually heard me and slammed on the brakes. There were only a few inches between my mom and the SUV. She could have turned around and leaned against it, if she had wanted to.

     Considering this has happened more than once, I was not going to just sit by and let this happen. (The same thing happened to my dad's mom only a couple weeks before and that was still really fresh on my mind.) The following is a conversation/argument/screaming match between myself and the driver, starting as I crossed the parking space she was still occupied in.

Me: Watch where you're going next time!
Her: EXCUSE ME?
Me: I SAID TO WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING NEXT TIME.
Her: -angered and stunned look-
Me: YOU ALMOST HIT HER. -points at my mom-
Momma: -just standing there with a 'wtf do I do' sort of look-
Her: SHE SHOULD HAVE WATCHED WHERE SHE WAS GOING.
Me: PEDESTRIANS HAVE THE RIGHT-OF-WAY. YOU SHOULD HAVE LOOKED.
Mom: -starting to drag me away from the scene since everyone in the parking lot was staring at us-
Her: HAVE A BLESSED DAY.

     Other people who fall under this category are people who are too busy with their cell phones or iPods or radios or applying make-up or reading a book or shaving their dog or writing a novel on a grain of rice using only a sewing needle. Then there are the people who just don't pay attention. It doesn't matter what causes it; pay attention when you're driving or either pull over to the side of the road or get in the damn passenger's seat instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment