Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Self-Harm Awareness Day

     Today, March 1st, is Self-Harm Awareness Day. I know that I don't really have any readers right now, but I'm hoping that anyone who needs to see this will. I'm also hoping that I can educate at least one person on to why this day is so important.

     For starters, I'll explain what exactly self-harm is. Self-harm is when a person harms themselves, usually in order to make their emotional state feel better. Different ways of self-harm including cutting, eating disorders, burning, flogging, scratching, some forms of hair pulling, infecting one's self, breaking bones... This list is so very much longer than what I listed and I don't even know all of the different ways to hurt one's self.

     A rough estimate is that 4% of the population suffer from self-harming themselves. The thing is, that's only what is known about. Most people do their best to keep things like this secret so it can't be easy to accurately measure how many people hurt themselves.

     There are a lot of people out there who will look at somebody who self-harms and think "Ew, what a freak!" or "That person is crazy!" You know what I have to say to those people? Get the fuck off my website. If you're not going to be a kind enough person to even see when somebody needs help, I don't want anything to do with you. Go educate yourself and get a heart before you come back.

     If you're the type of person who is just now learning about depression and self-harm, you should go here. That link will take you to a non-profit organization's website. They're called To Write Love On Her Arms. The group is doing what they can to make a difference and bring awareness to depression and self-harm. That link will take you directly to their facts page so you can learn more.

     If you're somebody who suffers from depression or self-harm, know that I will always be here for you. I'll do whatever I can to help anyone who needs it. If you don't want to talk to me, or even if you do, go here. They can help you. That link is a direct link to the TWLOHA (To Write Love On Her Arms) help page. They have different phone numbers and websites to find somebody who can professionally help you.

     Usually I try to write about upbeat things because I like making people laugh, but this isn't something that I'm going to skip over just because it isn't the happiest subject in the world. This is something that needs attention brought to it. Too many people die every year because of depression and self-harming. Too many people die every day because of it, even though there's something that everyone can do about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment