Saturday, April 21, 2012

Guest Post Saturday: Edition One

     This is the first edition of the Guest Post Saturday posts. This edition was written by Brother, who I talk about constantly. If you want to join in the fun, check out this page for rules and send me an email at pertinax_puella@hotmail.com.

    'Sup dudes and gals. I'm here to do a guest post for Rachel. You can call me Brother (but don't because that's weird.) I'm going to be talking about some books that I've completed and want to recommend or just review for the sake of reviewing. I don't always read, but when I do, they're great friggin' books. 

Sci-fi & Fantasy
Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
     I'm not entirely sure how I stumbled upon this book in the first place, but I'm glad I did. It's pretty much my favorite series right now. The premise is that this guy named Owen Z. Pitt is attacked by his jerk boss and totally kicks his ass because his boss is a werewolf. And dead. (Don't worry there's so much more and that was just the first few chapters, not a big spoiler.) So now Owen is called to become a Monster Hunter by a team of monster hunters based in Alabama. Needless to say there's tons of gore, really fun characters, loads of guns and a surprisingly deep plot for this kind of book. Like, seriously, I felt so sad when I finished it. Good thing there's (very good) sequels. I'd give it a great/10.

Geekology
The Walking Dead (At least up to issue #84 i.e. book 7, 'cause I haven't read the newest ones JEEZ DON'T PRESSURE ME)
     Like lots of people, I discovered the TV show many months ago and totally loved the first 6 episodes. Season 2 was pretty good and I've watched all of it but that's another entry entirely, so whatever. Anyways, I was like “whoa this is like zombies or something and based off a comic book?” So I got the door-stopper that is a collection of the first 48 issues and could also give someone a mild concussion if wielded properly. It. Is. Fantastic. Seriously, I've never cared more about an emotionally involved, character-driven story in my life – and I hate that stuff! Not only that, it's actually kind of dark and violent, but so well written. From there you might want to pick up book 5, 6 and 7, which contain the issues following that. I'll give it a brain salad/5, but we'll see.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
     Here's the big 'un, also the most recent. Where do I begin? Here's the setting: Imagine the world sucking a lot more than it already does; a major fuel crisis and widespread famine, among other things. It's the near future – technology has advanced pretty darn well. The whole world focuses on ONE outlet
which is basically a gigantic MMO/3D internet virtual reality thing. No, seriously, you put on visors and interact with people and games using a haptic glove. The dude who created all of this suddenly dies one day but leaves his will in the form of a contest. 3 hidden keys unlock 3 hidden gates which awards you with lots of mula and you pretty much become king of everything. Since this dude James Halliday was a gigantic geek, the only way you're gonna find the keys is with knowledge of 80's-90's pop culture , video games, TV, movies, comics and everything. That's Ready Player One.
     If you haven't noticed, the book is mainly centered around 80's pop culture so if you like that stuff, dystopian settings or just enjoyable stories in general, you should check it out. I fucking love the characters in this book and took me some time to reacquaint myself because I did not want it to end. 10/10. It's not actually perfect, but I'm biased, what do you want?

2 comments:

  1. Love The Walking Dead, even though it's utterly hopeless. And unlike the TV show, they show no hesitation whatsoever in killing off main characters, which is always a shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brother was really excited that somebody commented and agrees that the show was good.

      Personally, I don't like that kind of thing, but that's why this was his post. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete