Saturday, May 26, 2012

Guest Post Saturday: Edition Six

     Guys, I'm really excited by this post. Bozo (AKA Lady in Red) from A Bozo's Abbozo wrote this post. She's the first person to offer to write a guest post (instead of me asking her specifically), which is one of the reasons I'm so excited, besides the fact that I love her blog. If you want to write your own guest post, check out everything you need to know here and send me an email at pertinax_puella@hotmail.com.



Rachel posted about embarrassing mom moments the other day - and the next thing I knew I was offering to write a guest post about embarrassing (but ever so fun) moments with me on the plane. I have two incidents to share and I'm going to do my best to keep myself from being too long-winded about them.

The first incident was when I was flying Cochin/Bombay. I must have been around twenty years old at the time and was travelling with a group of friends. Travel + friends = mega excitement for me. And when I get mega excited I go absolutely nutso!

I don't remember what started the whole thing; but somehow I became inspired to act as though I was mentally handicapped. I didn't actually drool, but I did everything else to the embarrassment and amusement of my friends. My hands flopped about in unusual directions, I laughed and wobbled my head around for no apparent reason, and finally, I began stacking the food on my tray.

As it so happened we had a very attentive steward taking care of us on that flight. He was hovering over me as I stacked my food and so I thought it would be approrpriate to ask him for a banana. Within a few minutes he was back at my side holding a lovely yellow banana of the highest order; however, even though my hand was reaching out for it eagerly, he didn't hand it over. Instead, he looked at my friend and asked, "Is it all right if I give it to her?"

It was all I could do to keep from bursting out with laughter! Up until that point, I hadn't realized how convincing my behaviour was; I presumed that he knew I was just joking around.

My second bit of craziness was on a flight from Houston to Paris. However, before I go any further, I want to say that even though I get a kick out of telling this story - the fact is - the groups I've travelled with have behaved infinitely worse than the happy people I'm about to describe. I think there's something about being surrounded by friends that makes you forget all else.

Ok, so I was travelling Houston/Paris and there was a group of about thirty Texan tourists on board the flight with me. They were decked out in full cowboy/gal costumes. Not really costumes of course, but all the cowboys hats, buckles, boots etc. It was a happy group. They were obviously excited about their journey and were having the time of their lives. The only problem was that they were so absorbed in said happiness that the rest of the world seemed to have vanished in their presence.

When we landed at Charles de Gaule, in Paris, there was a bus ready to take us from the plane to the terminal. I usually wait for the crowds to disembark because I hate the crush - and so it was that I ended up being the last person to board the bus.

Well, I wanted to board it, but I couldn't. I was stuck outside with two French businessmen because my happy group of fellow Texans had filled the front of the bus and left the back portion empty. There was plenty of room - all they needed to do was push on into the depths.

The French men and I stood there for a moment, watching as the little driver scampered back and forth in front of the group, begging them in French to move on back. However, the friendly Texans with their thick Southern drawls and loud laughter, didn't notice the petite driver's repeated bleats.

Feeling compassion for the driver, and feeling responsible for my fellow Texans, it occurred to me that I had to act. It's in these situations that my better self rises to the forefront. Something had to be done. So, taking in a deep breath, and filling my lungs with powerful air, I bellowed,

"MOVE IT!!! MOVE IT!!! ALL OF YOU, TO THE BACK OF THE BUS, NOW!!! MOVE IT!!!"

The response was immediate and gratifying. The herd was startled into jumping three feet in the air and, grabbing their bags, they stampeded to the back of the bus. All that could be seen for a moment was a cloud of dust; however, when it settled, there they were huddled together with their eyes rolling about wildly in their heads...

Standing by my side were the two French businessmen. They were holding their stomachs as they doubled over with laughter. Literally. I've never seen people laugh quite so hard. And of course the driver looked greatly relieved as he made his way to his seat.

All that was left to do was to step into the vacated area and primly sit down. Which I did with the utmost decorum.

21 comments:

  1. Lol, well I just read through this and laughed at my own post... how pathetic is that? Thanks for having me here - it's my first guest post ever and a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Voting is open on Pish's blog. I'm dying to win the Kindle and would appreciate any votes. If you are so inclined, go to this link http://www.the-pish-posh.com/2012/05/week-12.html and scroll to the bottom. Just before the comment section you'll see the contestants' images with a little "vote" link under each. Would love for you to click the one under Lady in Red! Voting ends Monday morning. Thank you :-)

      Delete
    2. lol I laugh at my own stuff too... though it's usually because I'm laughing at what other people said or remembering facial expressions. =P

      Thank you so much for doing the guest post. I'm honored (seriously, I am) that you did it, especially with your very first guest post. Anytime you want to do another, just let me know. (=

      As for voting, I'll go do that right now.

      Be sure to check out all the comments on here because they're all for you!

      Delete
    3. You're very welcome and thank you for the vote :) I've been checking for comments ever since you posted this lol... your visitor count might go up a bit because I tend to come back every hour or so ;-)

      Delete
    4. My visitor count has already spiked and I think that has to do with all the people coming to check out your guest post. haha I even gained a follower, Miss Jax who commented below.

      Delete
    5. Jax is awesome... I'm sure you either have or will check out her blog - but she's a lot of fun!

      Delete
    6. I haven't checked out her blog yet, but I will soon. I would have already but I've been outside because my mom was cooking on the grill. haha

      Delete
    7. It's good to laugh at your own stuff. If you don't find it funny, then other people probably won't either.

      Delete
  2. LMAO!! Girl, I would have busted out laughing too when he handed me the banana. Ever consider acting?? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I think she should go into acting too, after that story. Maybe we can convince her to do so? (And then we can convince her to take us to all of the parties and stuff with the famous people, since, you know, we told her to go into acting? lol)

      Delete
    2. Lol, thanks guys! I've actually done years of acting - but of a very stylized sort. It's another thing I want to try out when/if I get to the States. There are some pretty good looking acting classes in Austin and it would be fun to give it a shot!

      Delete
    3. Just make sure you take us to the Hollywood parties! lol

      Delete
    4. Of course lol.... I dream big - so I'll definitely aim for Hollywood - in which case you're all invited ;-) (in my dreams!)

      Delete
  3. Funny stories! What a great guest post! I live next to Texas and Texans always make me laugh:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived in and around Texas and they always make me laugh too. Especially when they follow the stereotypes. haha

      Delete
    2. @ Crack You Whip: Thanks :) glad you enjoyed them!

      @ Rachel: The stereotypes are great within the State... but then just consider plopping them down in the middle of Paris - delicious! lol

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I think you and I were meant to have fun together lol

      Delete
    2. haha That would probably make an interesting TV show. Maybe that's where you'll get your fame from!

      Delete