This post is going to have the facts that I've researched. Statistics are boring, I know, but just read through them for a minute. Just sixty seconds to see what I'm really trying to get across. All of my sources will be linked at the bottom of this post, if you want to see for yourself, or check out more facts.
- 1 out of 4 kids are bullied.
- 9 out of 10 LGBT students have been bullied.
- As many as 160,000 students skip school to avoid being bullied.
- 282,000 students in secondary schools are physically attacked each month.
- 43% of students have been bullied online.
- 1 in 4 have been bullied more than once.
- 97% of middle school students are bullied online.
- 35% of students have been threatened online.
- 1 in 5 have had it happen more than once.
- 58% of students have admitted somebody has said something mean or threatening to them online.
- 4 in 10 have had it happen more than once.
- 58% of students haven't told a parent or adult about what has been said.
- 77% of students are bullied physically, mentally, and verbally.
- 43% of students fear harassment in the school bathroom.
- 87% of school shootings are motivated by a desire to "get back at those who have hurt them".
- 86% said, "others picking on them, making fun of them, and bullying them" cause teens to turn to lethal violence in the schools.
If you've read this far, you've already read through a lot of statistics, but now I'm going to ask you to read some of the effects that bullying can cause. Calling somebody ugly or stupid or fat doesn't just go away. A compliment can make somebody feel wonderful for a while, but a victim of bullying never forgets. There are always effects.
- Depression. (121 million people, worldwide, are suffering from depression. 2/3 will never seek help.)
- Suicide. (In the last 45 years, suicide rates have increased 60%)
- Self-harm. (This includes but is not limited to eating disorders, cutting, flogging one's self, burning, bruising, breaking bones, infecting one's self, inserting objects into the skin, pulling out hair, picking at wounds or preventing healing... It is just as addictive as drugs.)
- Low self-esteem. (Imagine always thinking you're stupid, you're worthless, you're untalented, you're just a waste of space every single minute.)
- Bad body image. (Imagine thinking you're fat when you're so underweight your life is at risk or being ashamed of your looks.)
- Drugs. (Illegal, but can also cause death through more than overdoses. You could lose everything because drugs would be all you would care about.)
- Alcohol. (A depressant, even though it's typically used to celebrate or forget why you're upset to begin with. Very easy to drink too much and wind up in the hospital, ill, or dead. Also very easy to destroy your liver.)
- Tobacco. (Cancer.)
- Loneliness. (Imagine being locked in a room all by yourself, with no form of communication with anyone, for days, while everyone else is moving through life without you. That is true loneliness.)
- Increased susceptibility to illness. (Could be anything from stress related pain, such as stomachaches that can put you into the hospital, down to actually becoming ill.)
- PTSD. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This is something war survivors and rape victims often have. It includes but is not limited to difficulty falling or staying asleep, flashbacks or nightmares, anger, and hyper-vigilance.)
- Anxiety. (Imagine constantly being worried or fearful, having a constant feeling of dread. Imagine it getting so bad that you have an anxiety attack and you can't breath because you're crying and hyperventilating.)
- Violence and/or aggression towards others. (Columbine.)
Bullying can't be taken back or be undone. The embarrassing story or picture that's been sent around or put online can't be erased. The insults can't be taken away and easily forgotten. Being physically hurt, sure the bones and bruises can heal, but that leaves behind emotional and mental scars, along with any physical ones. Suicide can never be undone- once they're dead, they aren't just going to wake up. Addictions and mental illness can last a life time.
I'll see you all tomorrow, with a new post, but I only have one last thing to say for today.
Instead of thinking about yourself in all of those scenarios, thinking about the person you love most. Your children, your mother, your father, you aunt, your uncle, your grandparents, your cousins, your best friend, your nieces, your nephews... Think about them in the situation of being bullied, harassed, hurt, tormented, and the feelings it would cause them to have.
**Due to news stories talking about people going overboard, trying to stop bulling, I feel the need to put a disclaimer here. I do NOT encourage, endorse, or support anyone doing anything illegal, harmful, criminal, violent, or dangerous activity. This is about stopping people from being hurt. This is NOT about hurting anyone in any way, shape, or form. Any links involving anyone going over the top and handling things inappropriately will not be posted on my blog, Twitter, or anywhere else by myself. If I find a link that involves anything inappropriate, I will delete it, and if possible, I will report it. Also, I am not an expert on this matter. I have included the links to the sources I got my information from and give full credit to whoever did the actual research, that I am using here.**