Considering I don't talk about politics on here, you've probably either realized that I don't like it or you just never thought about it. Probably the latter. But that's okay. I can't believe I'm writing this post but I figured it's appropriate since today is election day and I'm in one of my, "I don't even give a fuck" moods (which means that I wore swear pants, no make-up, and didn't even attempt to do my hair when we left today).
I'm not going to take sides in this election or any other election. I have my own opinions about the candidates and those will remain private. So far, I have yet to be wrong about which person should win, but anyone could easily argue that since we don't have any proof on how the election could have gone otherwise (whether better or worse). Why am I keeping my opinions private? Because that is one of the easiest ways to end a friendship, no matter how stupid that is. Why else? Because I refuse to deal with the fighting and drama of it.
Even though I have my own opinions, I absolutely refuse to even register to vote, even though I'm old enough this year. I could easily be wrong and I refuse to vote for somebody and help them potentially destroy the country. You can argue that I could also save it by voting, but that isn't a risk I'm willing to take. I won't even research the candidates or watch the debates. (Well, I did watch part of one of the debates this year, but only because of some of the Tweets on Twitter and I couldn't believe what they were saying. I didn't understand most of what the candidates were saying.)
To be honest, I don't care who you vote for. I may not agree with who you're voting for, but I'm going to support it and I'm glad that you're willing to use your freedom and you rights to try to make our country better. I'm glad you care.
However, there are still some things that really piss me off.
1) If you're going to vote, I expect you to do the research required to know who will make a good president and who will be the best person for America. If you don't do it and vote purely because of something stupid like race, gender, or who's prettier then you should have your right to vote taken away until you grow up since obviously the age limit wasn't good enough.
2) If you're going to vote, you should not vote because of your political party. I don't even think that political parties should exist. Being red, blue, purple, or any other color in the rainbow will not make you a better president than somebody else. It doesn't matter. Who ever will take care of this country is what matters.
3) I don't agree with celebrities or well known-well loved people saying who they're voting for. How many people vote for a certain person because their celebrity idol tells them to? They need to decide for themselves and not do it because of some social pressure that the media can cause.
4) You do not have the right to tell anyone that they are not allowed to have an opinion or that they are not allowed to speak their opinion. The whole point of electing a president by voting is so we can have our opinions. Age does not matter in this. Gender does not matter in this. Hell, even being from this country does not matter in this. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions and is allowed to speak them. I'm exorcising my right of freedom by not voting and I expect that to be respected, if you want respect from me.
5) People telling me that I have to vote, because I am now old enough. I'm sorry, but that sounds like you're trying to defeat the purpose of this whole freedom thing and the whole I'm-an-adult-thing. Do not tell me that I have to vote and do not tell me that I have to exorcise my right to freedom. I am exorcising my right by choosing to stay out of it. It's my choice and that's all there is to it.
Other than that, I really just want to know when electing a president will be more than selecting "the lesser of two evils".
P.S. Kianwi posted a quote on her blog from somebody named K.D. Lang. It's appropriate and I really like it so I thought I'd borrow it.
"May the leader who brings the most benefit to ALL beings win the election."