Sunday, November 11, 2012

Things I Learned Working In A Restaurant

     The title makes this pretty self explanatory. I started working in an Italian restaurant as a runner/hostess (eventually to be a server) about three and a half weeks ago. Since then, I've learned a lot. This will probably be a series of posts, especially if I'm struggling for NaBloPoMo. Let's start off with these:


1) You will not realize how hot the kitchen gets until you are in there for a full shift and then realize that you may very well melt before it's time to clock out.

2) The bread ovens will not stay open by themselves and it will burn you to touch them to push it open.

3) Do not push the bread oven doors.

4) Mr Fix-It was not lying when he said he jumps out of the bread ovens to scare people

5) It is fucking hilarious when Mr Fix-It jumps out of the bread oven and scares people.

6) Cannelloni is not pronounced like cannoli.

7) Minestrone is pronounced "mini-strone-y" not "mine-strone".

8) Just because you're wearing no slip work shoes, does not mean that they are "no slip". Wet floors will be slippery no matter what shoes you're wearing.

9) As a runner, you're kind of the servers' bitch.

10) Number 9 isn't so bad when the servers are nice and say "please", "thank you", and "I'm sorry for asking".

11) Wiping down menus is probably the easiest job, even though it's insanely tedious.

12) Wiping down menus is also very nasty because people get chewed up food in them.

13) I do not like wiping down menus.

14) Plates break every day and the first question asked is, "Is everyone okay?" not "Who did that? You owe me money!"

15) Some of the bitchiest customers leave the best tips.

16) Most of the bitchy customers are people who think pocket change is $20 bills and have never worked a day in their life.

17) Feel bad for the bitchy customers because they don't know how to deal with people.

18) Most customers are nice and like to joke around.

19) Nice customers like smartass runners because they laugh.

20) Do not call the customers "customers". They are "guests".

21) If you are a runner and the server fucks up three tables, you will be the one fixing every little thing but sadly, your boss probably won't see so you won't get the tip that you deserve for fixing the table that the server fucked up.

22) That's okay though, because if they come back, they may be some of your repeat customers and that means you will get tips.

23) The trays are very hot.

24) The trays are extremely heavy.

25) I do not like the trays.

18 comments:

  1. I never even tried being a server or working at a restaurant. It would take just one old man giving me a wisecrack and he would be wearing his "mini-strone-y."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something that I'm learning how to deal with. There are a lot of people who I would like to dump food on but it's actually mainly the women that start it. I don't know if I should offer them a tampon and some Midol or tell them to get their asses up and go to work for one week instead of marrying a rich dude and see how they feel after that.

      Delete
  2. I've never worked in a restaurant, but a few of these I knew. Like the kitchen being hot. However, I didn't know about the mini-stroney, and as a stubborn individual, I'm still calling it mine-strone. It's been too long. I can't go back now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep slipping up and calling it by the wrong name. I can't help it! It's been nineteen years and I usually say things how they're pronounced. They just never know what I'm talking about.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's insanely crazy, even if there are only a few tables, but it's actually pretty fun when everyone is in a good mood.

      Delete
  4. I worked as a server in my early 20s. And I actually LOVED that job. Yeah, there are a lot of crappy people who eat in restaurants, even thought most people are pretty nice. Honestly, I think that everyone should have to work in the service industry for a minimum of one year. The world would be a much kinder place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a genius idea. I wish something like that would happen. Like, maybe you have to do that to graduate highschool or something. People would leave better tips and not be such douches.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you've got it down - good advice for future workers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Thank you! I hope it helps people who will have the same job as me!

      Delete
  6. I worked for a short time for Wendy's when I was in high school, and that was enough 'restaurant' for me! My aunt has been a waitress her entire life, and I've always admired her for having to put up with the nasty customers, all while being on her feet her entire shift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that working in fast food is harder than working in a restaurant. I refuse to work at a fast food place, but that has more to do with so many fast food places being robbed here...and the fact I'm not a huge fan of it. lol

      I have to admire your aunt too. Ask her if she has any tips for me! haha

      Delete
  7. I have worked at RAX, HARDEE'S and BONANZA. I have been a server at APPLEBEE'S and CRACKER BARREL.

    I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of RAX but I have heard of the rest. It sounds like you've had A LOT of restaurant experience.

      Delete
  8. I've worked at Winchell's Donuts, Wendy's and a liquor store. I'm not coordinated enough to carry one of those big heavy trays, I'd be dropping food everywhere. Good for you for learning quickly and trying to make the best of it all.
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually only dropped one tray! I started working there last October and the only tray I dropped was like two months ago. I'm pretty proud since my entire job was running the food (carrying the trays) until the end of April/early May.

      Delete
  9. Oh, and I forgot. I completely agree about the high school graduation/food service thing. I suggested it in one of my posts about those jobs I had in high school and college...
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly wish that would be a law. It would make things so much better.

      Delete