Thursday, February 21, 2013

I'm Moving But Not Like I Was Supposed To

     I haven't talked about it in a long time. Last year, when I started the babysitting job, I was putting all of my money into a trailer next door to my mom's for me to live in. The deal was that if I fixed it up, I would have free rent and only have to pay water, electric, and other bills like that. Thats because the trailer was in such bad condition, a few thousand dollars went into it.

     However, my bosses from that babysitting job decided to screw me over by saying, "Oh we'll see you next week!" and never calling me again. It took me so long to find a new job, that I already had a feeling that I wasn't going to be able to finish the trailer and be able to move into it like I wanted to. When I did get the job, I soon learned that there was no way I would be able to afford it because I'm making a lot less money than I need.

     Finding a second job hasn't been working out too well. I've had to stop looking until after I get back from Wolfy's in April, because if I do get a job, I can't exactly say, "Thanks for hiring me at the beginning of March, by the way I need nine days off in April" and expect to still have a job. After I get back, I'll keep trying to find another job, but I decided it was time to just stop with the trailer.

     I've had the job since October and they keep cutting my hours instead of giving me more, except for Valentine's week. When I get back from my boyfriend's, I also plan on asking them to finally train me as a server. The only reason I haven't, is because on slow nights I usually make more than the servers. Things seemed to have been picking up lately so maybe it'll work in my favor.

     The trailer Mom and I live in now is crap. Her dad is to blame. When he moved it here, he literally broke everything he touched. Including but not limited to, the pipes, the electric, the front door, the back screen door, a window, and the TV antenna. We've never tried to use the gas stove for two reasons: Gas is expensive and he touched it so we're literally scared it would blow up.

     Mom has been wanting to move for a long time but until recently, she was under a contract with him to stay here so she wasn't able to. I decided to offer her a deal. She takes the trailer I was fixing up and finishes working on it, then we both move into it. She loaned me a lot of money and I put a lot of money into it that I don't want to lose. She'll take out what I owe her and then pay me the remainder that I spent, after we move in and in payments if that's what she needs to do.

     It was only designed to be a one bedroom after I started working with it, but I'm usually home alone anyways when I actually do get to sleep. The other room is just too small to have a bed and anything else in it (which would mean just a bed, no place for my clothes or anything and that would not work out at all).

    Basically, by moving over there with her, I'm becoming the "screw college, I'm going to write my blog and blast music loud enough to mess up my ears more than they are, while sleeping on my parent's couch rent free" person. Except that I actually do have a plan to move out and do something productive with my life.

     If all goes as planned, when I get a second job, I'll be able to actually move out. Maybe closer to where I work, since its a 20-30 minute drive, depending on traffic. Sometimes its longer. Its on one of the most dangerous streets in the city I live in, so there are a lot of wrecks and that makes it hard to be on time sometimes. There is also a good chance I'll be moving in with my boyfriend by that point. It depends on how long it takes, where I end up working, and whats going on in my life.

     We've already started getting things done next door. A new porch has been built since this winter sort of killed (rotted) the old one. Things are being done inside. I worked Wednesday through last Sunday, and helped Mom clean Monday and Tuesday, then I worked yesterday too so I haven't been able to do that much. Today was my first day to relax and I think I would have punched anyone who told me otherwise.

     By the looks of it, we'll be over there before or around the time I go on my trip. Instead of taking probably another year for me, even if I get a second job right after I get back in April. (Thats not to say Mom has a lot of money because lol why would she live in a trailer if she had money? It means that she's starting off with a lot more than I was.)

     So, that's the newest update in my life. What's going on with ya'll?

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great, rational plan. A lot of people would just move on their own, anyway, even thoough they coudn't afford it, so I'm glad you are doing it the wiser way. Moving out on your own will come soon enough. Or moving in with the boyfriend, that sounds exciting :)

    You will get where you want to go, I feel very certain. Good luck getting the trailer the rest of the way ready!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I put a lot of thought into it before I decided to go with that option, so I really hope that it works out. I've never wanted to put myself in a situation where I can't take care of myself, or anyone that I need to (like my little critters), so I thought it would be for the best.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Kianwi. You're making the smart move. As long as you aren't just using your mom as an excuse to be a bum, you're on the right track. A lot of my friends moved out right when they were 18 and barely got by, could never go out, lived on ramen noodles, etc, but I stayed with my parents until I was 21 and truly financially stable. By then I was able to buy a brand new car, move into a really nice townhouse, and not worry about whether I'd be able to eat dinner that week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll make jokes about being bum, but I really don't want to be one. I want to be able to take care of myself instead of struggling to get by and having to borrow money just so that I'll be able to eat that week. It'll take longer this way, but I know I'll be much happier if I'm not starving to death or living in the dark because I can't pay the electric bill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your comment on the Bloggess. Email me your girl doggie's measurements and I'll make you a pink poodle skirt like mine if you want it. http://southernfriedpugs.blogspot.com/2012/11/delayed-halloween-photo-shoot.html
    Of course, mine are pugs and not poodles, but you can get an iron on poodle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh. I'm freaking out right now, because that is so sweet and nice and unexpected and ohmygosh! A pug skirt would be really cute! I don't know her measurements, but I can get them tomorrow and I'll email them to you as soon as I know.

      Now, I'm going to go freak out, because ohmygosh.

      Delete