Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

     This is technically posted on the day after Valentine's Day, but that's not entirely my fault. I was at work until almost ten. Then I talked to my boyfriend and ate dinner and whined about how much my back hurts and changed clothes and read other blogs and talked to Brother. (He will be your Valentine if you don't have one but he's underage so nobody that much older than him.)

     I have mixed feelings about Valentine's Day.

     I think the idea behind the day is great. Celebrating your love for each other? That's just sweet. For people who celebrate it, it's usually wonderful. Happy times, lots of love, all that sort of sappy stuff. I saw a bunch of old couples celebrating together today and they were just so in love that it was impossible not to see, and caused me to have very girly "ohmygosh they are the cutest thing I have ever seen" moments.

     However, I don't think that you should celebrate it because you "have" to. I don't think that you should shower your Valentine in presents and stuff just because it's Valentine's Day. You should want to do that everyday. Not even just giving the presents, but telling or showing the person that you love them. It doesn't mean a thing if you only do it because you're told to or because you "have" to. It all comes down to if you're celebrating because you want to.

     To clarify, I'm not saying that I'm not celebrating this year or that I won't celebrate. Valentine's Presents will be exchanged, but it won't be until April. That's when Wolfy and I will be together. It's not the day that matters and anyone who is all disappointed that they don't have a Valentine should kind of just get over it. Would you rather have a Valentine for one day or somebody who loves you and lets you know that every day?

     Ohmygosh I think I said something wise and sweet at the same time. I don't even know.

     Here, look at the thingy that Wolfy "shared" on Facebook.

Basically everything I just said in less words.
     Also, can I just say, that it really sucks to work in a restaurant on Valentine's Day? We usually close at 8pm on the weekdays and 9pm on the weekends. We had a line out the door and reservations until 9. We ran out of silverware. It was insane. I now feel as though my shoulder is bruised from carrying trays, my back is crooked from trying to balance it out, and that I may cry because its supposed to be busy tomorrow and Saturday too.

     I'll have another story about work for you soon. Maybe two stories. Depends on if I decide its blog material or not. That means real posts! Not random pictures with me whining about things! Yay!

     And on a random side note, I've decided to actually do something for Lent this year. Lent is basically to give up luxuries in your life for a 40 day time period. Instead, I've decided to give up cursing. I figure giving up something I probably shouldn't do would be a good thing to do until I'm out of bad habits and then I can work on something else.

     Feel free to yell at me if you see me slipping up and cursing. I've already had a dream that I gave it up and dropped F-bombs all over the place without meaning to. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

P.S. Be warned, there is a sappy moment to end this post.
I do love you Wolfy. I can't wait to see you and I hope you had a good Valentine's Day even though today wasn't very Valentines-y since you're a bunch of states away.

12 comments:

  1. Awe thanks Rachel but I think you just want the present I got you xP. It's ok I'm always good at getting just the right gift. And it was a good day I could chill like i usually do my department was quiet since most people were buying flowers and stuffed animals racing to get something instead of planning ahead like I do ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Look at all of the bragging you just did in that comment.

      You're right though. About everything except me just wanting the present. But I do really want the present too. =P

      Delete
  2. I want someone who loves me and shows it everyday, but Valentine's day just highlights the fact that I don't have that. I really don't have a problem with Valentine's day, though. It's just not my favorite when I'm single. But overall, I think it's a good, well-meaning day. It's no different than a birthday...it's a chance to show your love, but that doesn't mean you don't appreciate and love that person every other day of the year. But, I'll never be one of those people that makes a huge deal of it, or wants expensive gifts. To me, it's just a reminder day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes complete sense. I don't really have a problem with the day itself. I guess its just more of a problem when only do something special on Valentine's Day or something like that. But I really do love the meaning behind the day. (Oops. Pun.)

      Delete
  3. Wolfy - that's sweet! I wonder if Wolf Blitzer's wife calls him "Wolfy"? Are you married to Wolf Blitzer by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm.... I'm pretty sure that I'm not married to anyone. If I am, then that would be quite the surprise and somebody would have a lot of explaining to do to me! haha

      Delete
  4. Love the quote that Wolfy tagged! Y'all seem like a cute couple.
    Valentines day has always been weird for me. I protested it for years. Then had a series of three years in a row where I broke up with a boyfriend on Valentines day (makes me sound like the ultimate bitch, but it really was necessary and ...yeah i'm a bitch) and then actually started dating my now husband on a Valentines day. Stuff always happens on vday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you! That makes me really happy to hear.

      Oh gosh. Sounds like Valentine's Day is really insane for you. I kind of want to know what made you break up with three guys in a row on that specific day, just because that is absolutely crazy.

      Delete
  5. I have always been indifferent to the day. I just didn't care. And now Red doesn't like to celebrate the day despite being in a relationship, so I guess there is no pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like there's no pressure for you at all. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple years down the line, you two get married and completely forget which day is Valentine's Day and you randomly do something romantic. That would be hilarious.

      Delete
  6. Now that Valentine's Day is over, we have cheap candy to look forward to. Don't forget that.

    Also, good luck with giving up cursing. I wouldn't last a minute. Our comics just aren't the same with one of us saying "goshdangit."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy. I need to go to the store and buy a bunch of candy before they sell out. Thanks for the reminder.

      Thank you. I had a really horrible week at work and all I could think were things I can't say now, or at work at all, so that was harder than I expected. But I didn't curse!

      Delete