Thursday, March 21, 2013

Wisdom Teeth Removal Reposted

     Last year, I shared the story of my wisdom tooth removal. Today, I'm going to post it again. I didn't have any readers when I wrote about it originally and we're moving tomorrow, plus I have to work all weekend, so I just don't have the energy to come up with something creative right now. (I'm going to bleep out all of the curse words to keep up with Lent since I still have a little longer to go.) (Also, as a little side note, I do remember texting during that week, but I still have no idea what I said and I don't think I want to.)




     Guess what? I'm stuck in bed, sick, for the second time this month! I'm not sure what exactly happened. My throat hurt and one hour later, I was laying in bed with a fever and fighting the urge to throw up all the food I hadn't eaten. I had to cancel going to Boss Lady's house because I don't want to pass my gross and rather mean sick germs to anyone, especially The Youngest.

     Since I'm stuck in bed, I really don't have much to write about. I could I write about this weird cold-virus-thing, but that wouldn't be very much. (Last night, I kept waking up. My nose wasn't stuffed up but it kept not letting me inhale. It went something like this: "-peacefully sleeping, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, inha..gaspchokegag, suddenly wake up in a panic- OH ****. AM I DYING? I'M GOING TO DIE. D'= -remember that I have the ability to breath through my mouth, breath through my mouth, calm down again-" Then I would repeat the entire process about two hours later.)

     Yeah, that's about all the interesting stuff I had to say and I've been terrible about posting lately, so I was able to come up with something! (Even though I'd like to take the credit, this little memory was inspired by this post, which you should totally go check out because I laughed so hard I cried. Twice.)

     Not long after my birthday last year, I got my wisdom taken out. All four of them. The bottom two were growing in sideways and since I had to go through **** with other teeth removal and braces (which I should be getting off soon, yay!) Mr Tooth Surgeon said that I needed to get all four of them out at once... even though the top two wouldn't have caused issues for months, maybe longer.

     My mom took me for my surgery really early one morning. To be honest, I was terrified. When I was hooked up to the heart machine thing (you know, the one that beeps when your heat beats?), Miss Nurse and my mom kept staring at the machine and back to me, like they were worried something was very wrong.

     Then I was given and IV and the face mask. My mom said, "Oh, that IV will just keep you hydrated and the face mask is just oxygen. You'll get another IV when it's time to knock you out." After The Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, and The Tooth Fairy, I really shouldn't have believed her. The last thing I remember is giggling at something and thinking, "I have no reason to giggle at this. Why is this so funny?"

     According to what I've been told (by the same lady who lied to me for eight years about Santa Clause, but hey, this has a pretty good chance at being true), I was pretty happy being all drugged up on sedatives. My mom was in charge of having me say the alphabet until I passed out.

Me: A..B..C..D..E..F.........H..
Mom: What happened to G?
Me: -uncontrollable laughter- It ran away!
Mom and the nurses: -snickersnickersnicker-
Mom: Where did it run away to?
Me: Shhhhhhhhhhhh. It's a secret! -more uncontrollable giggling-

     I don't know how long I was out, but I was shaken awake by the nurse and dragged down this long white hallway. It's a good thing I was still pretty sedated because I probably would have thought I was dead otherwise. I mean, I went through a long white hallway that (according to my fuzzy memory) resembled a tunnel with a bright light (which I now know was the sunlight) at the end.

     I don't remember a lot from that point on until we got to the bank, so Momma could withdraw some money to get my pain medication. At some point, despite it being ninety degrees out, I started shivering because that's a side effect from the anesthesia wearing off. Apparently, I refused to wait in the car and tried to walk into the bank like everything was fine. Then I collapsed in a chair. I vaguely remember the tellers yelling at my mom to take me home and my mom arguing, "Tell her that! She won't listen!" but I think I blacked out for a few minutes.

     Then we went to WalMart to get all three of my medications filled (pain, infection prevention, and anti-nausea). I decided I was strong enough to walk all by myself, even though I was stumbling like a drunk and struggling not to pass out. My mom told me, "Wait here", and then asked the lady at the door for a wheelchair. Mom walked up behind me with it and told me, "Rachel, sit". Since she had already taken my phone away and was in charge of giving me my medication, I sat. I started moving and then I realized I was in a wheelchair.

     WalMart was mostly a blur, but we had to wait fifteen minutes for the prescriptions to be filled. The main thing I remember was that my mom wanted to pick up some candles so she put them in the wheelchair seat with me. We went around a corner and some wild little kids saw me. Keep in mind, my face was swollen and there was nasty bloody gauze stuffed in my mouth, plus I was wrapped in a blanket and looked completely drugged. Not a pretty sight. They must have agreed because they ran back to their parents and didn't leave them the entire time we were in the store.

     Sadly, seconds after that, the candles in my lap fell onto the ground. They didn't break but they did roll away a few feet. For some reason, that was an absolutely terrible thing that depressed me to the point that I started crying in the middle of WalMart and apologizing (or attempting to, at least) because I dropped the candles even though it wasn't my fault.

     Right after leaving WalMart, I was rushed to a nearby gas station and into the bathroom. Upon looking at myself in the mirror, I discovered that I looked like a vampire with a swollen face who was very messy when it came to eating dinner. Then I had a panic attack and started crying again because I really don't like blood and the gauze got stuck on my braces.

     I must have passed out in the car because I don't know how I got inside. I was told that an old neighbor had stopped by and helped me up the stairs and into bed, but I can't remember. Some time after that, I woke up crying because I wanted my pain medication. Then I was hungry and all my mom would give me was pudding or soup. Then a few days later, I was allowed to have mashed potatoes. Then I was mad because I was tired of pudding, soup, and mashed potatoes. But eventually I was allowed to be off of the medication and all was well again. During all of that, there were also moments when I was hysterically amused for little to no reason.

     P.S. It has since been decided that it's a good thing I've never really had an interest in drinking or drugs because I was so emotionally unstable.

22 comments:

  1. What an experience! I still haven't gotten mine pulled, even though the dentist wants me to. They're not bothering me, so I don't really want to mess with them. (Also, I'm terrified of the whole procedure.)

    Have a nice weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really sounds a lot scarier than it actually is. Its not a fun time, but sometimes that means things will actually end up better. As long as they don't bother you, don't worry too much about it. =)

      Thank you! You too!

      Delete
  2. I had the chance to get them out when I was 16, should've taken it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I got them out when I did, even if it meant I was an emotionally unstable wreck for a week.

      Delete
  3. Hi Rachel,
    Thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself! I'm glad you've joined the A-Z Challenge, it's going to be great for your blog!
    I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 18 and I didn't get as drugged as you did...though I wish. I was miserable for at least a week, swollen like a chipmunk, and I remember lying on the couch and my mom just stuffing me full of my pain meds, even though we were using them at twice the rate that was prescribed, to keep me comfortable. Then she called the doctor and sternly instructed him to refill my meds, with twice as many because I needed them. I remember being really impressed. She's an RN and said that it was ridiculous to let someone be in pain. Great mom, eh? Turns out I have a super high tolerance for drugs, and with all my broken bones and medical issues, I've had a lot of them since then.
    Anyway...good luck with the challenge, and if you have any questions, I'm your answer girl - that's one of my jobs as a co-host: taking care of the new people and the info@ email, though you'll get a quicker answer if you just use my regular email or leave a comment.

    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      My mom stuffed me full of the medication and pudding since it was all I could really eat. I think I ran out of pain pills around the time where I had to go back for a check up to make sure things were okay. I remember a lot of pain but I was so drugged, that I was mostly just unconscious. haha

      Your mom sounds pretty awesome though. She wanted to make sure that you were taken care of. =)

      Thank you! I'll be sure to email you if I have any questions. Good luck to you too.

      Delete
  4. Hi Rachel. I remember my friend doing lots and lots of U-turns and the car waltzing us home, and I still crave the depth of sleep I got under the influence of anaesthesia. I have read a few of your posts and it reminds me of a good old fashioned journal of day to day events, with a moods of a new millennium twist. I look forward to more of your posts and good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was mostly just unconscious in the car. I remember the feeling like I was car sick but that was probably just the anesthesia.

      Thank you! Good luck with the challenge! I can't wait to see all of your posts.

      Delete
  5. Hi Rachel-thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I'll look forward to seeing you in the A-Z! My oldest was hilarious after she had her wisdom teeth out too...glad it's just a one time event : ) Have a great week and good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I only had to get them out once, even though it made for an interesting story. And a lesson learned that I should probably avoid really strong pain killers. haha

      Delete
  6. Well, that doesn't sound like fun! I had two wisdom teeth out a few days after a car accident. I walked in already looking bad and they asked WHY I could possibly want to go through with the surgery when I was all banged up. I told them I wanted to have all the pain at once, rather than waiting until I felt better just to go in and have new pain caused. I thought it made sense, anyway. Why have to be stuck in bed more than once?

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense to me! I would also think of the fact that, the pain killers given for your wisdom teeth would probably also take care of any pain from the car wreck. Then there would be less pain and you wouldn't be stuck in bed twice as long!

      Delete
  7. What a hell of an experience. I had no idea it was like that - the going in and out of consciousness even after you're done. I never had mine out. They never got that enlarged, and even now they don't bother me, so I'll probably never get them out. I'm kinda relieved about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know what it would be like at all. I'm not sure if its like that for everyone, but most people typically just go straight home and sleep it off. I refused to go home and ended up trying to go around town while the medications wore off. It probably didn't help, that I barely ate anything that week, so the medications affected me more than they usually would. But hey, when you're bleeding from giant holes in your mouth, food does not sound appealing.

      Nor does it sound appealing after reading that last sentence, sorry.

      Delete
  8. There's really nothing more like a toothache! One day, my wisdom teeth hurt so bad that we went to the dentist. Right there and then, the dentist asked me if she can remove ALL of my wisdom teeth and I was like "Are you freakin' serious?". But, I had no choice! It was either that or endure that excruciating pain longer. Eventually, I said “yes” and the procedure begun. Yanking out a tooth is not a pretty experience. Heck, it's even traumatic! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's insane! I wasn't really in that much pain before mine were taken out and mine were cut out while I was unconscious, not yanked out. I'm starting to feel really lucky.

      Delete
  9. I would probably be scared too if I was heavily-sedated and thrust out into a white hallway with no one else in sight. I think I would just crumple up and weep right at that spot.

    The thing at Walmart with the chair had overtures of “Sit!” and “Stay”. Well, you got to scare a pair of boys, so I guess that helps balance things a bit. XD

    Latarsha Ghoston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I'm surprised I didn't! I have to wonder why nobody in that clinic realizes that its a TERRIBLE idea to have it like that.

      hahahahahaha I guess so! I barely remember it but I do remember that I felt like I was a monster. haha.

      Delete
  10. Informative blog! I enjoyed reading these. I also remembered the time when my wisdom tooth ached, Terrific! But because of wisdom teeth removal austin clinic, I survived through all the pain. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone I know seems to be having wisdom tooth trouble.

      Delete