Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Anti-Bullying

     I haven't even planned out half of my posts, much less started writing any or anything like that. I signed up months ago but I had no idea that you could pre-write posts until last week. Then work got insane and my internet went out. Awesome, right?

     But that's not what this post is about. As you might have noticed, I have an entire page up about anti-bullying. Last year, I was told that a week in November was Anti-Bullying Week. I found out that October 10th was Unity Day but the month of October was Bullying Awareness Month. My posts had already been planned, so I kept the original November dates. I posted about bullying every day for an entire week. I invited any blogger who wanted to join in, to do so.

     The Bloggess actually tweeted about it for me. For those of you who don't know who she is, she is basically blogging royalty.


     Before I really write about anything else, I just want to invite everyone who reads this to join in again this year. This year, Unity Day is October 9th, according to the National Bullying Prevention Center Website. All you have to do is write a post saying that bullying is bad on Unity Day, send me the link via email (pertinax_puella@hotmail.com), and I will post it on a post later that week. It will also be added to the page I currently have but that includes things from any time, not just Unity Day.

     I'll admit that I'm basically advertising what I want to do and I'm using this Challenge to do it. However, that is not the reason I started this Challenge and I'm not doing it for myself.

     The whole reason I want to let people know just how bad bullying is, is because I know what its like. I know what its like to be called stupid, ugly, a loser, a dork, a geek. I know what its like to have horrible rumors spread around. I know what its like to be pushed down the stairs and shoved against lockers. I know what its like to have people grab at me and grope me while I walked down the school hallway, just because I was too small to protect myself, just because there were too many people for me to know who it was when I turned around.

     Nobody deserves that.

     I know very well that the chances of making people stop bullying completely is impossible. I know that there will always be somebody who takes pleasure from causing somebody pain and destroying them word by word. But I'll be damned if I stop fighting.

P.S. Lent is over, by the way.

25 comments:

  1. Great post! As always, your passion for anti-bullying shines through. I will be happy to do a lost again this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to see your post, and to see posts B through Z. =)

      Delete
  2. I admire your passion. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I've never been told that before.

      Delete
  3. This is a good cause--more power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck to you to, since I think you're participating!

      Delete
  5. Great cause. Bullying is a terrible thing. I got a rude awakening at how early it can start when my son was bullied in preschool and the school administrator told me their policy was to let God deal with it. FYI- I didn't like that idea, and by the time I was done, THEY were dealing with it. Still makes me angry. We aren't talking name calling only. We're talking bite marks and scratches on many of the children in the class. Terrible. Woo, sorry, I get angry whenever I think about it.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let God deal with it??!! Sorry, but He's got other things to deal with. Glad you didn't let them get away with that.

      Delete
    2. Shannon, I am so sorry your son was bullied like that. I'm sooooooooooooo glad that you made sure he was taken care of. Schools turn their backs on the problems and even a lot of parents just pretend that nothing is wrong. They say "kids will be kids". And idiots who turn a blind eye to abuse will be idiots.


      Judy, you are absolutely right.

      Delete
  6. Excellent cause! Bullying is such a huge problem, and the frustrating thing is it's so unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And you're completely right. Its a bigger problem than most people realize and it could just be fixed if people would not attack somebody else.

      Delete
  7. I had meant to participate in your cause last month and it got away from me. I will join in this year. I went through it in school also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With me setting out the reminders so early in the year, I had a feeling that a lot of people would not remember. This year, I plan to make sure I talk about it a lot more closer to the date.

      Delete
  8. My daughter is in grad school and is writing a paper on bullying for a class. (She's getting her Masters in Early Childhood Ed). She's done some interviews with school staff and it's been really eye opening.

    Good luck with the A-Z...thanks for visiting my blog yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell her that I wish her luck on her paper and in getting her Masters.

      Thank you! I plan on visiting a lot more. I enjoy your posts.

      Delete
  9. My grandson has autism so has had some bullying in his life. The school is aware of this. In our paper, the comic strip, "Funky Winkerbean" began a story yesterday about bullying. The cartoonist is; Tom Batiuk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the story about? I've never seen anything like that about bullying, though I don't really read the comic strips either.

      Delete
  10. My husband is an elementary school counselor, so he deals with bullying. Bullies are just cowards, and, unfortunately, too often it reflects back on parenting. Not always, but often. We should all be fighting with you against bullying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please, join in the fight with me! Bullies target people who can't fight back, or who won't fight back, so that they can feel powerful. Its a horrible thing.

      Delete