Tuesday, April 2, 2013

B is for Beginning Of Blogging

     This post was suggested by my boyfriend, Wolfy, who I am going to see on Saturday for nine whole days. Ohmygoshyay.

     A couple years ago, I read posts from Allie Brosh on Hyperbole And A Half. I am no where near as funny as she is and I don't think I ever have a hope to be. Humor like that has to be something you're born with and you have to learn how to use that amazing talent.

     But I started wondering what it would feel like to make somebody laugh like that. I'm not a comedian. I honestly don't want to be. But how amazing would it be to make somebody laugh so much? Or what would it be like to make somebody think about something important that could make a difference in somebody's life?

     I started considering it more and more. Should I start a blog? What if I get a lot of hate for it? What if somebody I don't like finds it? What if I get some crazy stalker for whatever reason? Maybe I shouldn't do it. There are a lot of risks with putting my thoughts out there.

     When I finally decided to start a blog, I was stuck in bed because I was sick. That's probably not saying much. When you're sick, you really shouldn't decide anything, because it might not be the smartest choice. But I was fully aware of that and I decided to start my blog anyways.

     Originally, I wanted to write about funnier topics. Something that could make somebody's day better with a laugh or a smile. The longer I wrote, the more I realized that it just doesn't come naturally enough. Yeah, I have funny stories, but I'm not humorly-talented like most of the blogs I read.

     I think that a lot of bloggers, or writers in general, have to just keep writing until they figure out how they need to do things. Some people are better with funny topics. Some people are better with meaningful, inspiring posts. Some people can do both and more. I'm still trying to learn what I'm actually good at. I must be doing something write, though, since I now have 37 followers.

     Its easy to find something that I can rant about. I have more than enough posts that involve me ranting about things that made me mad or even just irritated me. I also have plenty of conversations between my friends and I. But I don't want my blog to revolve completely around anger nor do I want this to just be a log of conversations.

     After a few months of blogging, I realized that I wanted to write something more meaningful. Conversations with my friends mean a lot to me and they might make somebody laugh, but would they make a difference for anyone? I don't even know if the posts I try to make meaningful make a difference to anyone but I did find out why I really wanted to start blogging.

     I wanted to find my voice and be able to speak out about anything that I want to. I haven't always been able to do that. Even if it doesn't make a difference to anyone else, I know that I put my thoughts out there. Even if some of my posts are angry, some are funny, some are stupid, some are important, and they're all over the place. They're my thoughts, they're out there, and I have a way to be heard since I'm probably the shyest person you'll ever meet. If I happen to do something meaningful along the way, then that's even better.

     I guess, long story short, I began blogging because I had something to say. I just haven't always known what it was.

16 comments:

  1. As long as you have something to say, you should say it.

    It took me a little while to find my voice and I learned really quickly that I cannot write like other people. I can only write like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm still finding my voice and I'm okay with that. As long as I say what I need to say, then I'm happy........ Even if I'm embarrassed by the writing on my earlier blog posts.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ditto Ashley. =) I'm jealous of your writing skills.

      Delete
  3. Having something to say—that's the best reason to begin. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its better than having nothing to say but talking anyways, I think.

      Delete
  4. I am in the same boat, trying to figure out what I wanted to write. I never feel quite satisfied, and I have lots of different styles I want to play with, but my fall back is always silly. After this A to Z thing is over, though, I want to get back to doing some 'better' posts for Yeah Write again!

    I love your blog and what you write, for what it's worth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your fall back is silly and mine is angry. haha I understand exactly what you mean though. I have to wonder if all new bloggers go through the same thing? After the Challenge is over, I want to start producing quality posts and maybe do things like Yeah Write. I'm sure I'll have lots to say by the time I'm home so I can start there. haha

      Thank you! That is worth more to me than you realize. =)

      Delete
  5. I love reading what you want to say! Found your blog from the A to Z challenge!
    You write really well!

    sia
    www.vevisia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Good luck with the Challenge.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know what to talk about when I first started, either, and I still have days where that's true. However, that moment where you start blogging and feeling comfortable about it is a wonderful one. Reaching that comfort level of knowing what it is you want to be talking about. I think it's just important to be yourself. I'd love to be able to make people laugh, but I'm no comedian. Have you read the Bloggess? She's fantastic.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read the Bloggess. She's absolutely hilarious. I actually almost mentioned her in this post but I was too lazy to get the link from her blog. haha

      I agree though. As long as you're being yourself, then you're on the right track.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Is that a hint? Are you watching me from the bushes right now?

      Better go close my curtains.

      hahaha

      Delete
  8. I think as long as you write about what you find interesting others will to.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete