Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for Cursing

     I said before, that I was giving up cursing for Lent, as a way to give up a bad habit. I'm not even Catholic, though I do believe in God. Considering all the times I got mad enough that I wanted to dump soup on coworkers' heads or make them be "*the bitch on the other side of the door" from the kitchen, when I have to kick it open, I think I've done pretty well.

     *That's Mom's quote. She's seen me at work when I have to kick the kitchen door open while trying to balance a heavy tray. Once, I was still really new and carrying a tray that was much too heavy. I was having a hard time balancing and kicked the door a little too hard, so that it flew open and almost hit the wall. About three feet away from the door, there's a little too seater table and one of the chairs is right next to the door. Sit too far back and you can be the bitch on the other side of the door. (The week after that, the lady manager stopped me while I was on my way back in to tell me I could leave soon and I got hit with the door. It sucked.)

     There were a few times that I slipped up a little bit. I said "wtf" or "slut" or similar phrases, without even thinking about it. I had a couple of dreams where I dropped f-bombs and all sorts of other words. Also during those dreams, I felt like the worst person ever because I had said words I promised not to say before Lent was up.


     I'm pretty proud of myself.

     I'm really only proud because this one girl at work is out to get me. There have been a few days where she'll walk passed me and "accidentally" bump into me hard enough I'll fall into something, or someone. Then when I walk by her and don't even touch her, she acts like I'm doing that to her. She's also spread a lot of rumors about me and blames me for literally everything that goes wrong, even if I'm not there. Not to mention the fact, she's walked into the dining room and started screaming at me to get out of her way so she could pass out the food for her table, when my entire job is to bring the food to the customers. I literally cannot win with her and it will be a relief when she gets fired, as bad as that sounds.

     I never cursed at her, but I am guilty of thinking "fucking bitch" every time I look at her. That's probably not good and I'm working on that. I really need to stop that before I say that instead of her name. I'm pretty sure that would not go over well with anyone. Except maybe Mr Fix-It. I think he would laugh.

     This post is turning into a more "people I hate at work" post, isn't it?

     Well, I still plan on keeping the cursing to a minimum. After all, if I'm going to own and work in a daycare, I can't go around using all sorts of colorful words that parents might not want their kids repeating.

     Wish me luck.

16 comments:

  1. It is so hard to break a cursing habit. That's why I go with nonsense words - like applesauce (see what I did there?).

    I had one night back when I was waitressing where a hostess kept messing up and I was fed up and made a comment about making her a character in one of my stories and causing her all sorts of problems and then death. A customer overheard me and complained to the manager on duty who threatened to fire me.

    I quit, instead.

    But I did learn an important lesson: seeth silently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to go with "crap" and "freak", which honestly aren't that much better. After all, those aren't words that little kids need to hear so that they can repeat. "Susie where did you learn that word!?" "Miss Rachel taught it to me!" That just could not possibly end well.

      I try my best to seeth silently, but there is only so much I can take before I snap. I know it will be my fault if that happens and I will accept that, but they are really pushing me too far. I just hope I can keep my mouth shut and save all of my anger to the poor sucker who ends up listening to me rant for the next two days.

      Delete
  2. Good luck. I couldn't keep my big trap shut. I like it too much.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I worked in a daycare, and then was a nanny for so long, I had to make sure I didn't curse. Even now, I rarely do it, and when I do, it feels like I'm doing something bad :) But it doesn't really bother me when other people do it, barely registers.

    That girl at your work is ridiculous! How old is she? She sounds like a very immature teenager. You should not have to put up with that. I hope she gets fired soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel a little weird now, especially the first time I cursed after Lent was over (in the Anti Bullying post). Most words don't bother me but I really plan on keeping it to a minimum. I think this post was getting it out of my system. haha.

      I'm not sure how old she is. Her partner in crime is 25 and she is old enough to drink, so she's at least 21. They're absolutely horrible. They act like we're all 12 or something. Actually, I know 4 year olds who act like better people than they do.

      Delete
  4. Because I have two young kids, I try to hold back on the cursing. It's easier some day than others...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand it from your point of view, but I totally understand what you mean. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I've been holding back ever since my nephews and my niece came along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My niece is turning three this year but I'm never around her so that's never been a concern. Last time I saw her, she was only eight months old, so she wouldn't have been able to repeat me anyways. haha

      Delete
  6. Call me crazy, but I don't see cursing as a bad thing. I saw a stand up comedian (Dave Foley) who had a great bit on this that was both funny and insightful. He basically said that words only have power if you give them power, and that whether you say goddammit or goshdangit, the word still has the same intention. It's not like you're fooling God by changing up the word into something that sounds kid friendly.

    With that said, I won't cuss around kids or elders out of respect. But I won't say stuff like golly gee or gosh darn either. I just won't say anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good point. The words your used as an example are words I never say anyways. It has the same meaning and nobody is really being fooled. But, even replacing "shit" with "crap" has the same meaning. I don't have a problem with most words, since they're just words, but I don't want to go around using all sorts of foul language for no reason either. Especially in front of kids or old people, even if old people hate me. (Probably because I dare to use the O word.)

      Delete
  7. I can usually stop myself from cursing unless something surprises/scares me. Loosing a "Holy $#!&" when the fire alarm goes off in a room full of third graders isn't so cool. I recently found your blog thanks to the A to Z Challenge (the title intrigued me), and I'm enjoying browsing some of your older posts. Your down-to-earth voice makes your blog a real joy to read. To enable some of my readers to find and enjoy your site as well, I have nominated you for the Liebster Award on my own blog http://thingsiseeandknow.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/ :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahha No, that's probably a terrible thing to do!

      THANK YOU SO MUCH! That is so unbelievably sweet of you. I'll be sure to post about this when its time for the L post to come around. =)

      Delete
  8. And I found you thanks to Michelle's Liebster nominee list because Michelle was one of my nominees! Don't you just love how this A to Z Challenge helps us find each other?

    When I was in grade school my mother warned me about cursing. She told me that one day I'd slip up, maybe in front of the priest, and I'd feel horrible about it. She was right. I think it was actually one of my teachers, but still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that! I've met so many new people because of the Challenge. I had no idea how many people I would meet.

      I don't think I was ever told that. I was too scared to really curse because I hated getting grounded and having nothing to do. Then when I was a teenager both parents said that I could curse as long as I didn't do it like them (an f-bomb every two words). haha

      Delete