Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for Ducks

     Originally, this post was going to be about the made-up game Sissi made, called "Do you know this song? No? Okay." but I can't get anybody to play with me so I'm improvising at 10:06 at night.

     Before my mom and I moved to the city we live in now, we lived way out in the country. Like, it took almost half an hour to get to the nearest WalMart and if you had to go grocery shopping, you'd better go to the local grocery store- Dollar General. Once, I literally blinked and missed downtown. It consisted of a post office that was never open and a couple of buildings that burned down before we lived there. Two years ago, they got their first stoplight in front of the highschool and that was straight out shocking.

     We lived right next to a small pond that ducks and geese lived at. When we lived there, almost nobody ever went there. After we moved, it became the most awesome place to go to in that town. Because, you know, obviously there are a bunch of awesome places to go to.

     Every morning, one single duck would come up to our front door and wait. She would give these quiet little quacks until we gave her bread or crackers or whatever else we had. She quacked while eating. She quacked while walking. She quacked and raced after us until we either got inside the house or got inside the car to leave. I named her Mrs Quackers. It seemed appropriate.

     Eventually, she brought one little duck friend along. A few days later, there was a third duck waiting at our front door. The only way to get around them was to give them bread. They weren't mean but they would get right on your feet. Touching wild ducks isn't smart to begin with but we were also scared of accidentally kicking them, stepping on them, or even running them over. We had no choice but to continue to give them food to get them out of our way just to leave, otherwise they stalked us.

     Five or six showed up every morning by the time half the school year was over. Whenever they showed up for a week, they got a name. They stayed during the winter, which I never quite understood. I suppose it was because they had a food source though I still don't understand how they were able to deal with all of the cold weather since it actually snowed that year.

     Mrs Quackers was the only really loyal one who always came back. The door was open one day and she must have gotten impatient because she hopped right up the steps and into the house. She stayed in the doorway just quacking at us until I told her that I would bring her some bread if she would go back outside without pooping on the floor. She listened without a problem. It happened several times after that.

     We moved to the city after that school year was over. Mom and I went back later to see how "our" ducks were doing. Mrs Quackers stayed there for quite some time. She must have left during sometime the next fall or winter because we haven't seen her since, nor have we seen any of the other ducks.

     And that, my friends, is the story of how I had a gang of ducks demand that we feed them every day.

     The ironic part is that every other duck and every goose I ever see tries to attack me or chase me. I honestly don't know why. I must have killed a bird in a former life or something and Mrs Quackers was just forgiving.

14 comments:

  1. Aw, that's the cutest story! I would love ducks coming to my house so I could feed them! Ducks are one of my favorite creatures. I remember one time we went to a cottage, and I was on a big paddle board out on the lake. This female duck was being pestered by a male duck, and she got up on the end of my paddle board and just floated along with me for a while. I was in complete heaven, as you can imagine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww! That's so adorable! I guess she did not want to be messed with and he couldn't take a hint. haha

      I thought you might like the story. Its not something that I think about that much anymore but I'm glad I happened to remember it.

      Delete
  2. My girls and I are planning to get some ducks for the yard. Hopefully they will be as cute as Mrs. Quackers sounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I also hope you'll post pictures on your blog!

      Delete
  3. Sounds a bit like you stumbled on a duck mafia! You're just lucky you got out of there without finding a turkey head in your bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what it seems like! I think Mrs Quackers was the mob boss. Her cuteness was her cover of innocence.

      Delete
  4. How funny! Mrs. Quackers was quite the character.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really was! I liked having her around, even if it was a pain.

      Delete
  5. I love small town life. We live outside a big city and have a lot of wildlife, but no ducks at the moment. We do get bear and that's pretty exciting. A blogger friend who is also a real life friend wrote about their duck pond yesterday too. You might like to read her post-http://mary-lifeinasmalltown.blogspot.com/2013/04/duck-pond.html

    Enjoy your weekend! Thanks for your very nice comment on my blog : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will totally check that link out when I have more time.

      I enjoy your blog. =) Keep posting and I'll keep commenting. haha Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  6. That's hilarious! I miss life in a small town. So many wonderful—and crazy—things seem to happen there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been a long time since I've lived in a small town but I miss it sometimes. Living in the city is just so loud.

      Delete
  7. How funny! Our neighbor has geese at his place, but they are not the kind you can get close to. Instead of quacking like your duck, they just hiss at everyone. Not as likable as your feathered friends. (:

    A-Z participant blogging from Elise Fallson


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! They sound so mean! I think I'll keep my duck friends instead of trying to meet your neighbor's hissing geese.

      Delete