Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for Flying

     In a couple of hours, I'm going to be on a plane to see my boyfriend. I'm writing this in between packing and straightening my hair. And also freaking out because I really do not like being on planes at all.

     The thing is, I have a fear of heights. Not only that, but I do not like small or crowded spaces at all. I have to take a total of four planes to get to and from the state that I am traveling to. I've been on planes before and everything always turns out fine, but I usually end up with a couple panic attacks and shaking the entire way.

     Nearly every plane I have ever been on has had a delay so that they could fix something, which is terrifying enough. Everything always turned out okay and I am very happy they stopped to fix the problem instead of giving the chance for something bad to happen. But ohmygosh, that's just scary, okay?

     That I can remember, I have been on a total of seven planes. I was also on some as a baby but obviously, I don't remember that. What usually happens is on the flight to my first layover, I have all sorts of panic attacks. I calm down at the layover and I freak out on the way to the destination, but not nearly as bad. On the way home, its not nearly as big of a deal. I'm not sure why.

     All I know is that its been almost two years since I've been on a plane and I would much rather drive except that I don't have a car. Or a license. Or any sense of direction. Or a crapload of gas money.

     Honestly, I don't know how somebody is brave enough to be a pilot or a stewardess (is that the correct term?*). Especially when somebody told me that they had a total of five flights to do before the could go home.

     I would also like to point out that spiders and storms are still way higher on the list of things that scare me. I would rather be on a plane than be in a bad storm, but I'd really just rather neither happen.

**hahahaha Like I give a shit about PC.


P.S. Since this has been posted, it means that I landed safely and everything is just fine. You can follow my twitter (@whenalionsleeps) for any extra updates, most likely complaints while at the airport. I know I haven't replied to comments or commented back or anything yet, but I plan to catch up on Sunday since I will have nothing else to do that day.

P.S. #2 I was told, that statistically, if you were on a plane from the time you were born, you would have to be 80 before an incident actually occurred. Not really sure how true that is but it makes me feel better. Well, that, and being on land.

P.S. #3 It is now a total of nine planes that I can remember being on and damnit, Wolfy, I cannot type if you are tickling me.

24 comments:

  1. I've never been afraid of flying, I just find it tedious and a bit claustrophobic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its beyond tedious. I can't read or I'll get motion sick, so I have nothing to do but sit there, and maybe talk a small nap.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Is it? I've never even heard that one before. I guess I really can't keep up with any politically correct terms.

      Delete
  3. I don't mind being up in the air, I just don't like the taking off and landing bits. I cling on to my seat until my fingers turn white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are MUCH worse. I'm generally okay when its smooth flying, after the taking off and landing bits. There was a lot of turbulence though and that was not fun.

      Delete
  4. I am not scared of flying, but don't particularly enjoy it. Although, it is still much faster than driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true. Driving takes a lot longer than flying, but I usually don't have a panic attack in the car. I guess it depends on what's actually worse.

      Delete
  5. Yay, I'm glad you made it! I don't like flying, only because I get so bored and stiff. I actually kind of like when there's turbulence, because it reminds me of an aumusement park ride. Seriously, the plane is not going to fall out of the sky. Yes, occasionally they crash, but it's rare when you consider how many planes fly just in the U.S. every single day.

    Have a fantastic time! I can't wait to hear stories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having a lot of problems with my back since I started being a runner at work and those seats were not helpful. I actually had to ask the sky waitress/stewardess for something for the pain. All she had was Asprin and that was not helpful in the least. I think that might have honestly been the worst part, despite my fears.

      I understand the logical side of it and it makes me feel better to think about it when I'm on the ground. I guess I leave the logic on the ground when I'm in a plane though. haha

      I'm having a lot of fun. I'm sure I'm going to have lots to tell you. =)

      Delete
  6. Glad you got there safely! I always have to call my doctor for special panic attack pills every time I fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I still had insurance, I would do that. Actually, if I had a doctor, I would do that. I probably should find a doctor and some insurance.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you made it there safely! I'm not crazy about flying. My luggage got lost on both legs of my very first flight. Talk about frustrating—especially since I was flying out to a job interview. Gah!

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana! My first flight that I remember, they delayed it so long to fix problems that I wasn't able to catch my second flight nor could they reschedule. Sissi's family had to drive like three or four hours to go pick me up. Then they lost my bag too! I didn't even have a carry-on bag so that was terrible. At least Sissi and I wore the exact same size clothes though. haha

      I'm having a really good time. =) I can't wait to include stories into posts.

      Delete
  8. The greatest chance of an accident is during take-off and landing. So the safest way to fly is the route with the least number of transfers.

    I personally love flying. I just fall asleep and when I wake up I'm at my destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the parts of fling that scare me the most. I try to take the shortest possible trips when I fly.

      I fell asleep on the planes I took a couple of years ago but I could not fall asleep at all on the way here.

      Delete
  9. Glad you made it safely. I've noticed that the older I get, the more those flight worries creep up on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've always had a fear of heights but I never had to worry about being on a plane until the last few years. Over all, I think I handled it better this time than before.

      Delete
  10. Ha, I've never heard the term sky waitress. That sounds kinda ridiculous. I just always call them flight attendant.

    The two of us are both very terrified of flying, but we've both been on flights where things have gone wrong. Not wrong enough to put us in mortal danger, but wrong where you spend a few moments kissing your ass goodbye as the plane drops for about 15 agonizing seconds, and then hoping your underwear is still clean as it levels out and the pilot pretends that nothing just happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? That's just a really weird term. I don't understand it but oh well.

      That sounds like the flights I've had on smaller planes. Its absolutely horrible. Its amazing how car wrecks are more likely to kill you than a plane crash, but everyone is scared of flying instead of driving.

      Delete
  11. We don't like flying either. We try to plan trips where we can avoid it. We were hoping to take a cruise to Alaska this year because they depart from Seattle where we live. I get really nervous flying but I can't show it because of our two little boys.

    BTW, I have been on a plane passing the Dakotas during a lightning storm. It was beautiful and frightening at the same time.

    Come check out my A to Z! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds absolutely amazing! I would love to go on a cruise like that. As long as no flying is involved. I try to act like I'm not having a panic attack but I tend to get really concerned or weirded out looks, so I guess I'm not very good at it.

      BTW, that would cause me to hyperventilate to the point I would pass out. Which would probably be the best thing to happen for me to handle it.

      Delete
  12. Ha! I love your conversational tone. I have only flown to and back from California once, and to Ohio once. It was okay, but the turbulence freaked me out. Still, I completely agree with you that spiders and storms are much scarier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The turbulence and taking off/landing are the parts that really get me. If its smooth flying, I'm typically okay. But if I see a spider or a storm, somebody better freaking sedate me. haha

      Delete