Tuesday, April 9, 2013

H is for Horses

     It's been a long time since I've ridden a horse. I actually only ever rode one horse, that wasn't at some sort of carnival or festival or something. You know, the ones attached to a bunch of chains and stuff so they can only go around in circles.

     For my tenth birthday, my mom, her mom, and my uncle decided to surprise me. I spent days guessing what I might get to do. I wasn't going to get a party and I didn't really want one since I didn't have many friends to invite or anything to do. But they kept saying that something awesome was going to happen.

     I don't remember all of my guesses but I do remember that my mom and I were in the car when I spent most of my time guessing. I really had nothing to go on, no hints or anything. We were driving past a pasture with four horses in it so I finally guessed, "Horseback riding?" and my mom got really quiet. That was when I started to freak out and asked if she was really going to let me ride horses or if she was just joking. All she told me was, "Wear jeans to school and make sure you act surprised."

     My birthday was on a school day but I was called out of class before the day was over so that the four of us could go down to the horse rescue place. They rescued horses that were abused or lost or abandoned but they wouldn't sell them. Instead, they would have the tamer ones be ridden. I assume the wild horses were there to be tamed down but I really don't know.

     It felt like the longest drive ever and when we finally got there, I was so excited that I couldn't really act surprised. I'm pretty sure my uncle and grandma knew that my mom told me because I remember them giving her these weird looks like, "Really? Did you really tell her?"

     I had to be fitted for a riding hat and my mom and grandma left. They said that if they were there, my grandma would end up broken (she once managed to fall off a cliff in Hawaii and then fall over from standing still the next day, which resulted in a broken elbow) and I would rely on my mom for bravery to ride the horse (which I still don't think is true because I was super excited).

     They went over the rules and I got on my horse. One was named Trinity and I think the other was named Star. I don't remember which one I had or which one my uncle had, but I got to pick and I picked the prettier horse who seemed to like me.

     I got to pick whether I wanted to be out in the pasture or out on the woods, so I picked the woods. We went on a ride that lasted about an hour. Through the woods, through a river which my horse did not like at all, up hills, down hills, over logs. We also had to cross a road going to and from. The only times at all my horse stopped was in the middle of the road.

     A couple times, the horse tried to start trotting or galloping and she had not tried to throw me off so I let her. Which resulted in our guide and my uncle yelling at me that I didn't have proper training to ride a horse and that my mom would kill them both if anything happened to me.

     After that, the four of us met back up again and we had pizza for dinner. I don't remember a lot of the details of that day but I do remember that it was probably the best birthday that I ever had.

P.S. Yes, Wolfy, I did write all of this in like five minutes. And thank you for the topic suggestion.

14 comments:

  1. I've only been horse back riding once as well. I'm a big fan of horses, I'd just rather brush them and pet them while I'm firmly on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love horses. Its been almost ten years since I've ridden one and I would love to be able to own a horse to ride all the time. But I live in the middle of a huge city and I'm broke sooo... haha

      Delete
  2. I've never been on a horse. They are beautiful animals though.

    Dark Thoughts Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful animals. Especially the few wild horses that are still out there.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Rachel! That sounds like a wonderful birthday. I went horseback riding my first time when I was 12, and the horse's name was Scooter! Since then I've been horseback riding four or five times, most recently on the beach in North Carolina at sunset. That was an incredible experience!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Laura! That sounds amazing! I am so jealous of you right now. I've never even been to the beach, actually. haha

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You should, at least once. Unless you're allergic to horses, in which case, do not ride a horse.

      Delete
  5. I've been on a horse only once in my life, and I remember feeling terrified! It was so big, and the ground was so far away. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It does feel like the ground is far away. Of course, now that I've been on a plane, I doubt it would feel that scary for heights. haha

      Delete
  6. That was a great surprise! I love riding horses. I did the same kind of thing as you a few times as a kid. When I was in Honduras, I was fortunate enough to ride horses sometimes for work, when we were up in the mountains, and cars couldn't go any further. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be kind of scared to ride a horse on a mountain, unless we were away from the edge. haha It really was a great surprise. I can't even explain how happy I was. Even nine and a half years later, I still smile stupidly when I think about that day.

      Delete
  7. I grew up on horses. We rode everyday. I have ridden in the mountains, desert, forest, everywhere. As of now, I haven't been on one in probably 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing. I would love to be able to ride horses all of the time like that.

      Delete