Saturday, April 20, 2013

R is for Rabbit

     (Please excuse any typos and tha lack of format on this post. I'm on my phone because I have company who is having a bad couple days and needs to talk.)

     Mr Fix-It found a rabbit hopping around the trailer park. So, like literally EVERY other maintence guy who has ever worked for Momma, he brought the rabbit to us. Actually he brought the rabbit to the office and Momma called me to go hold onto it so he could go back to work.

     They said that it had to be wild because of the coloring. I said that it had to be tamed because of how calm and sweet it was. Mr Fix-It didn't believe me because who would let a rabbit outside, unsupervised, in a place full of bad kids, vehicles, dogs, and cats?

     Momma locked up the office and we decided to take it to the no-kill shelter down the road. Leaving the park, the rabbit started violently licking my arm, like it was saying, "I WILL LOVE YOU WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT."

     One woman at the shelter tried to argue with Momma and say they wouldn't take it. Another lady came out to the car to see how big it was and if it was tame or not. (Wild rabbits need to be taken to a wild animal rescue group. They cannot handle the stress of a cage and usually die, even if they're healthy, if not given to the right people.)

     The second woman took the rabbit inside and Momma followed her to go sign the paperwork to give him up. The director saw the rabbit and said, "I just paid off the credit cards and I promised my wife I wouldn't run them up again but that's a pure bred red rex and I want him." The rabbit had a home before Momma even signed the paperwork.

     I found out later that the owner who had the rabbit is not a good animal home. The rabbit was underweight and the owner lets her three year old play in the street. So there's no need to worry about somebody missing the bunny.






22 comments:

  1. Oh, good, the story about the rabbit :) I'm so glad he found a home, and a much better home than where he came from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like it! I was going to post more pictures for you but thats a pain to do from my phone. haha

      Delete
  2. What a great ending to the story! Rabbit gets a good new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad things turned out so well! I had a feeling it would be okay, but it was better than I thought.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad the rabbit found a good home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! I was sure it would be okay at a no kill shelter, but its even better if it gets a home!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I thought the same thing. He shed a lot of fur on me though.

      Delete
  5. So cute!! Thanks for sharing, wonderful blogpost and good choice of topic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have a rabbit, a licker. I miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should get another bunny! There's not really a shortage of them.

      Delete
    2. We have a dog and a cat, right now, and no place for a rabbit.

      Delete
    3. Darn. =( Maybe one day in the future then.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad to hear things turned out well. We have a ton of wild rabbits around here, and they all seem to like me. I wouldn't dare take one in as a pet, but let's just say that people in the neighborhood give me weird looks when they see one hop up to me and lick my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. They're one of my favorites. I love rabbits.

      Delete