Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for Sequels

     There were a few topics that I was considering for the letter S, but none of them were that exciting. I considered talking about shooting/guns (oooh, controversy!) or a little about the school that I'm doing, since I never really talk much about it. There were a few other topics that I usually thought of when something happened (which I can't remember right now, of course) but then I was watching TV with Momma one night and suddenly had an idea.

     I am all for creating movie and book sequels. Well, as long as the story is good. Some stories just need to be ended. Like, I would love for there to be another Harry Potter or Lion King but I do not want there to be another Twilight or Friday The 13th.

     If you're one of the few people who hasn't read or watched Twilight, my friend Ashley did a summery of the books in a blog post. It will take you less than two minutes to read and it will tell you everything you need to know. Click here.

     Friday The 13th... I can understand the original movie. Kid dies in a lake because his councilors are too busy having sex to watch him. Kid comes back to haunt the councilors at the camp after that because he died. That's a pretty basic scary movie plot. Then you get to the thirty sequels.

     Why would anyone go back to the lake after teenagers are getting murdered there constantly? Like, obviously teens are going there and never returning. In the second one, they even said that the bodies were found the year before. Clearly, something is wrong, but for the next billion movies, everyone goes back to the camp because it just can't possibly be true!

     I just spent twenty minutes on Google looking for a quote from NCIS. One of the characters (Abby) tried to explain the Friday the 13th movies to another character (Gibbs) and it was just the perfect way to prove my point. But I can't find the stupid quote. I tried though.

     Back to my point.

     There are some things, which do not need to have a bunch of stories made after them. There never should have been a second Pocahontas movie or two more Cinderella movies. (I know. You're all in shock because I'm obsessed with Disney.) There doesn't need to be another Steel Magnolias (I told Mom to name a movie. It was that or Top Gun.)

     We get it. You made a shitton of money with the first movie. Good for you. That does not mean you need to make a sequel and a sequel for that sequel because sometimes, the story line is just done. It's time to move on and just admire the movie/book that was so successful, without wearing it down and making it the most predictable thing ever.

12 comments:

  1. AFkjsghlasdgjilwhdsfkjlfdfa;galsdgjerlhygdjg;
    drunk coment
    fqkasjlgdjadlsgjerlg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Some sequels never should have been.

    Have a great Tueday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I both want there to be another production of Harry Potter (because there are so many things that could have been better) but also don't really want to see it happening all over again with different actors/actresses.

    But I'm sure years from now, there will be. It's too popular not to be reproduced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want there to be a remake, but I'm sure there will be one day. It's already a classic though, in a way, and the movies made history. Some things could have been better but I still think that they should be left alone now.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely agree that some movies never need sequels. Steel Magnolias and Top Gun are good examples. As are Pocahontas and Cinderella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Some things just need to end at that story line, even if you want the story to continue because you loved it so much.

      Delete
  5. I can never figure out why, in the case of movies like Friday the 13th, do people keep wanting to go see them and see bascially the same plot over and over.

    I was amazed at the Harry Potter movies, to be honest. Usually sequels end up sucking, even if the books are good, but those movies stayed good until the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't figure it out either. I think part of it is grim curiosity to see if SOMETHING is done differently. It's the only reason I can think of.

      I completely agree! Those movies and books are part of my childhood. Soooooooo much better than I ever realized they would be.

      Delete
  6. Yes I agree! If it's not sequels it's remakes and those are just as bad. They need to give it up already and move on to something original

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! Remakes are basically never a good idea. Stop telling the same dang story and make something unique!

      Delete