Monday, April 29, 2013

Y is for You-Know-Who

     Ashley suggested this post. I think she wanted me to do a Harry Potter theme but maybe if you comment on her blog, she'll join the Challenge next year with that theme instead.

     Two days until the end of the Challenge and I completely forgot about it, which is ironic since I forgot about NaBloPoMo two or three days end. Lets see what kind of post I can come up with in thirty minutes, shall we?

     You-Know-Who and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named are two things that Voldemort is known by. First of all, I have to give props to JK Rowling for typing out both of those upteenmillion times in the books because putting a hyphen after every word is really annoying after a while. No wonder she was all about using his actual name. (As quoted from Dumbledore, "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself.")

     One thing that I never liked about Voldemort, was the fact that he had a nose in the first movie but not in any of the others. Like... Did he just happen to have it cut off or something? I don't understand that and he doesn't need a nose. He looks snake and snakes are typically associated with being evil, so he doesn't need the nose. Bad call on that one, people in charge of the first movie.

     Besides the whole nose thing, I think he is one of the most well thought out villains in a series of books. There's always a reason for his returning, or an explanation for it, as opposed to move sequels that just say he can't die because he's immortal or whatever. His goals never change but his motives of going about it do. Tim Marvolo Riddle actually spells out "I am Lord Voldemort", which is just a clever idea.

     I can't imagine the time and energy that JK Rowling put into the work to make Voldy such a good bad guy. All I can say is that Stephanie Meyer could learn A LOT from that lady and needs to stop acting like she is the next JK Rowling. No, if you're the creator of Harry Potter and Voldemort, then you're never going to be replaced or forgotten.

10 comments:

  1. This is a great idea for Y. I never noticed that with the nose, but then I've only seen the movies once. Huh. You're right. Rowling did an amazing job with Voldemort - a true villain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree! You should totally watch the movies again. They're amazing.

      Delete
  2. I don't like how You-know-who was shown in the films. He just seemed- funny- and he's supposed to be scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only funny part, to me, was when he hugged Malfoy. That hug could not have been more awkward.

      Delete
  3. Ha! Yes, props to her for the number of times she wrote that out : ) Congrats on the challenge...we're at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't believe the Challenge is over. It feels like it just started.

      Delete
  4. It's funny how somewhat low-budget the first movie was compared to the rest. It didn't look so bad at the time, but re-watching it makes it obvious. I'm pretty sure his face lacked the nose in the book. I guess they were like "too hard" nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never considered that, or even really realized it. You're right thought. The first movie is clearly much lower budget and it just generally looks older, compared to the rest.

      Delete
  5. Huh, I never noticed the nose thing. I'll have to watch the first movie and see :)

    We have an ex patient that we refer to as He Who Shall Not Be Named. Nothing against him, but his mother was completely nutso crazy and we were so relieved when he was doing well enough to come off of our program, and we don't ever want to have to deal with that mother again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! The movies are really fun to watch in general. =)

      Sounds like my neighbor might be related to the mother. It would explain a lot. We get lots of crazies here.

      Delete