Monday, May 6, 2013

A to Z Follow-Up 2013

     I really can't believe that I survived the Challenge this year. It was not only my first year entering, but it was the second blog challenge I've ever done. (I feel like I cheated a little on last year's NaBloPoMo, however, because a bunch of my posts were poor quality and asking for topics to write about...)

     To top it all off, I went to visit my boyfriend April 6th-April 15th, and I was a complete fucking mess when I got home. While I was there, I never would have kept up with it if Wolfy didn't make sure that I did, and when I got home I didn't want to give up because I put so much time into it already.

     There was drama at both of my jobs, with the person who works with me. I'm afraid that drama still isn't over yet, but I'm staying out of it the best that I can. It's too stressful and has nothing to do with me, so I refuse to let everyone keep trying to drag me back into it. That actually ended up being two of my topics for the Challenge this year, but my goal is to make them all happier next year.

     I plan on entering the Challenge again in 2014, but with a theme. I didn't do one this year because my blog topics are typically random to begin with, and I didn't want to make it even more difficult than it was supposed to already be. But next year, since I already know that I can write 26 posts according to the alphabet, I'm going to pick a theme. (Feel free to suggest some ideas. I have a few but its a whole year away.)

     Next year, I want to be able to visit more blogs and follow them. With my trip and then all of the drama over the past couple weeks, I just did not have enough time to visit all the blogs that I wanted to. In the comments, I want you to suggest your three favorite blogs from the A-Z Challenge for me to check out (not including super famous ones, like The Bloggess or Hyperbole And A Half).

     From the Challenge this year, my absolute three favorite blogs to read were The Warrior Muse who had a theme of History's Mysteries, Diary Of A Square Toothed Girl who had a theme of things that bring her joy, and The Daily Dose who had a theme of things that inspired her. I discovered them because I signed up for the Challenge and I'm incredibly happy with that. Go check them out. Right now. Or after you leave me a comment.

     I barely kept up with reading and I hardly commented on everything, even though my goal was to comment back on every blog and comment on every post I read. Sometimes I just didn't know what to say, but more often than not, I didn't comment because the person doesn't reply to comments. It makes it seem like the comments aren't read or cared about, which I know isn't true, but still. If you reply, I am much more likely to leave you a comment. I am fully aware of how unfair that is.

     Brett Minor of The Transformed Non-Conformist is the one who told me about the Challenge, after last year's NaBloPoMo. Then he actually reminded me when it was time to actually sign up for it. Thank you, Brett. I wouldn't have even known about it until April first if you hadn't told me.

     Let's be honest though. The only reason I even got through the Challenge this year, is because my boyfriend sort of forced me to keep up with it while I was at his house. As badly as I wanted to keep up with it, there's a two hour time difference that really fucked me up, so I kept falling asleep before it was time to post. (If you'll notice, the posts written from Wolfy's house say that they're posted after midnight, but that's because I didn't change the time zone thingy on my blog to match his house's time.)

     But I also kept forgetting about it, just because I was there and I was happy and I was more focused on him. Even so, he woke me up several times and handed his laptop to me and told me that I needed to post before it was too late. So he deserves a huge thank you for making me keep up with it long enough for me to get to the point of, "I put too much time in this to give it up now" and suggesting about half of the posts that I wrote. I never would have completed the A-Z Challenge otherwise.

     I just read that back and it sounded like an acceptance speech for a special award. Oops. Even my acceptance post for the two awards I got during the Challenge was less acceptance-y.

18 comments:

  1. Don't do Harry Potter Themed. That's mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better freaking enter the Challenge or I will shave your mermaid hair off.

      Delete
    2. Don't test me. You know I'm mean enough.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) takes place in November. It's another blogging challenge, based around NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). Basically, what you do is write a post every single day of the month. It can be a sentence, just a picture, or practically a novel itself.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your posts a lot, and I'm glad you'll be doing the challenge again next year.

    Thanks for the shout-out, friend. Have a happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad somebody liked what I had to say. =) I hope you'll be doing the Challenge again too!

      Have a good day.

      Delete
  4. Aw, good job Wolfy! That's awesome that he was so supportive of your blogging. A good sign :)

    I read the Warrior Muse, her theme was so fascinating. I didn't find it until later in the challenge, but I backtracked and read all of her posts. I haven't read the other two, so will have to check them out!

    I'm the same as you, I am much more likely to leave a comment if the blogger comments back. For some reason it feels like they are kind of full of themselves if they never comment back. Whether that's true or not of them, it's hard to get that idea out of my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha He supports whatever I do. Its amazing to have that.

      I LOVED her posts. They were so amazing. I also started giggling around post F that EVERY theory was "oh aliens did it". It just kept getting funnier every time it was mentioned.

      I'm soooo happy to know that I'm not the only one who feels that way! I thought I was being stuck up or something, but that's just what it feels like if they don't ever say anything.

      Delete
  5. I love honesty - this was great. I completely agree with you about comments not being acknowledged. I hate that! Same with follows - gee, someone has decided they like my blog enough to follow, THAT is worth celebrating. However, sometimes those little squares don't lead to any information and then it's hard to thank someone.
    If you want to visit more blogs, you should check out the Road Trip! Learn all about it at the A-Z Blog today. Shannon, Nicole, and I are your hostesses for the trip.
    Tina @ Life is Good
    P.S Thanks for following me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm a little decent at thanking somebody for following me, but I was HORRIBLE at it during the Challenge. I plan on changing that though. It IS worth celebrating. I mean, somebody likes you enough to want to read what you have to say!

      I think I'm going to join it. =) I don't know if I can complete it, but its worth a try.

      P.S. Thank you for following me. =)

      Delete
  6. Brilliant. I am thinking of entering this challenge too now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should. It's not until next April, but you should start planning your posts now. haha

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for the shout-out! I'm sorry things are still crappy at your job, but I hope your visit with your bf was a good one.

    And seriously, aliens are troublemakers.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! The crappy things will get better with time, I hope. Good things have happened already. And my visit with my boyfriend was amazing. =)

      And seriously, that made me laugh waaaay too hard.

      Delete
  8. Hey, The Warrior Muse. I know that chica. She's good people. (No really, we're pals with Shannon in real life. Small world, right?)

    Things may suck at your job, but I'm glad to hear your trip with Wolfy went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I saw that you commented on her blog but I didn't realize that you actually know her. I guess all authors know each other somehow, huh?

      Thank you. =) I really had an amazing time there.

      Delete