Saturday, December 21, 2013

This Post Is A Mess

     Let me just start this post by saying that I have never watched Duck Dynasty. I don't know what it's about, but they are now extremely famous and are selling everything with their name on it. That's literally all I know about them, except that now a preacher on that show is under fire because of racist and homophobic things that he's said?

     All I see is support for him. Shared pictures of him on Facebook. Retweets saying that you should support him. Friends changing their pictures to him. With all of that and the captions, which usually say that if you don't support him then you don't support freedom of speech, it's really starting to piss me off. Last time I checked, you can say whatever you want to say. But some things just shouldn't be said out of respect for other people.

     I don't know what brought on his comments in whatever magazine it was. I don't know if certain parts were edited out to make it a scandal. I don't know if it was taken out of context. I don't know if he is actually racist, homophobic, sexist, or the nicest man that you'll ever meet. Because I know nothing about the show and I don't know the man himself.

      Without having all of the facts, I refuse to support the man but I also refuse to condemn him. He has every right to say what he saw and his own personal beliefs, even if I don't like what he has to say. Everyone has their own right to say and believe what they want.

     My beliefs are that everyone is created equal and that everyone has the right to marry whoever they want to. So what if you think they're going to hell? You don't get to decide that. You're not God and you don't know what He's thinking. You don't have to marry anyone you don't want to so it doesn't have a damn thing to do with you. However, when you start treating somebody with disrespect, that's a problem.

     And don't even try to use the religious "but I'm trying to save their souls". Don't even start with me on that one because in every religion I have knowledge of, the best thing we can do is treat everyone equally and love each other and all the good things like that. I believe that as long as you're a good person, things will work themselves out. When you start pretending to be a good person as a disguise to be a jerk, that makes it even worse than just being a jerk in general. Extremists are in all religions, or non-religions.

     So what do I have to say about whats-his-name and all of this mess?

     Because the things he said were taken the wrong way, he should issue an apology for offending people, whether he meant to or not. He doesn't have to apologize for how he feels, just apologize for how he made some people feel bad. He can say whatever he wants to say by the freedom of speech and we're not losing it if he's removed from the show, because the network is trying not to offend people. Clearly, I'm saying whatever the fuck I want to right now. But there is a line that shouldn't be crossed by anyone and apologies should be made when overstepping that line.

     As for how he feels, he can keep feeling that way. We don't even know what exactly he does feel. Beliefs don't typically change over night. Just be nice and understand not everyone feels the same way, so unless you want to start a shitstorm, be careful of what you tell other people. The worst thing you can do with your beliefs is make somebody feel bad with them.

11 comments:

  1. I don't watch Duck Dynasty either, but out of this entire mess, I just want to know why ANYONE cares what some bonehead from a reality tv show thinks about a hot button issue. Who cares?

    "I'm starting to form my own opinion on gun control, but first I need to know what The Kardashians think about it." Give me a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's about people caring what he thinks. It's that he's being told not to think the way he wants and because he stands by what he believes he is getting in trouble

      Delete
    2. Honestly, you both have points.

      There are A LOT of people who care what he has to say. Just because he's on TV. That alone makes him a role model to some people and since he's a preacher, that could be encouraged.

      But I have yet to see a single person say anything bad about him. Everyone is supporting him except for the network. He's not on the receiving end of the attack.

      Delete
    3. If people didn't care about what he thought, this wouldn't be such an issue. He'd be brushed off as some backwards redneck and it wouldn't have made any kind of headlines. But as two guys from a very, very small cowtown, believe me when I say that both of our Facebook feeds have been absolutely cluttered with people who hinge on this man's every word. Like Rachel said, he's some kind of role model for them. And honestly, that's a horrifying thought. Not just because of what he's saying, but because he's a reality TV star. That shouldn't be anyone's role model.

      Delete
    4. Living all over the south, I know rednecks. My dad's family is full of them. (So many stories.) My Facebook has been going crazy and anything vaguely country related is all saying that if you don't support him, you're basically the worst person ever. Support him or not- not my place to judge. But if you're getting into arguments and fights and insulting people because of what some dude on TV said, there's an issue.

      Delete
  2. I think the reason this has all blown up is because he was asked in an interview to state his views on diffrent subjects and he did just that. He is now being slammed and threatened with being fired from his job because he did so. Sadly what is being left out though shared by all the posts and photos is that while he dose not like gay marriage or multiple marriages he dose not judge them. He is getting in trouble for speaking his mind and saying how he feels about things. Thats why it has blown up so much

    And I happen to LOVE the show haha yeah I'm crazy like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I see is "Support him by sharing this!" and things like that. I'm sure people are saying bad things to him and about him, but I see more support than anything. I think the main reason this is making me so insane is that he gets support (though he might be fired) for saying how he feels, but when somebody like Amanda Todd was truly a victim and ended up dying, people still continued to attack her and she never got support at all. It's all twisted. We should all care more about a victim than about an interview in a magazine.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this and have no idea what it's about. Yes, I believe in freedom of speech, unless it could incite hate crimes or encourage people to hate and disrespect others. Not knowing what this person said, I don't know if that's a possibility.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really depends on the view point, I think. I can definitely see where somebody would be offended, but I can also see where it would be passed off as his own beliefs. I don't think that he hates anyone (maybe a strong dislike for what they do, but not the person), but if he offended people, I still think an apology is owed. People apologize for misunderstandings all the time. I saw that he had released a second interview saying he doesn't judge people and it was a misunderstanding, but I didn't see an apology.

      Delete
  4. Here's the part that drives me nuts. This is not an issue of Free Speech. That has to do with the government. This is some millionaire who gets to play nutty on reality tv who said some offensive things in an interview and the network suspended him. Who cares?! It would be no different than if I worked for a church and got up in front and started saying bad things about Jesus. They would have every right to fire me, even though I had the right to say what I wanted. The whole thing is so annoying to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. He can say whatever he wants. That's his choice. Nobody has to like it or agree with it, though I still believe he owes an apology for those he offended. But the TV network has just as much right to decide they don't want somebody who has offended people with their views. They want to gain viewers, not offend them and make them stop watching. Plus, from what I saw, A&E supports gay marriage and since he does not, I can see creative differences too.

      Delete