Friday, January 10, 2014

So Much For Posting More Often

     So, I haven't been keeping up with blogging in these past ten days. I think I have discovered why, though. With all the time I've been spending on schoolwork (which, as Wolfy has pointed out, is all I ever do), my brain short-circuits and then I don't want to read or write anything else. That means, as much as I like blogging, after reading 40 pages of whichever subject and taking however many tests, I just want food and sleep.

     Good news, though! As of today, I have four courses left to finish, plus four math courses. Then I will finally have my diploma and can find a job! I've decided that I will be doing the A-Z Challenge this year, so for S, I'll be talking about the school in more detail. (I was going to do it sooner, but it's not always easy to come up with 26 topics by letters.)

     Before I get on with the actual post, I just wanted to see if anybody has job interview advice. And please don't say to just be confident. I know that one already, but pretending I'm not inwardly panicking is still a work in progress. Other advice that I probably don't know or might overlook, please.

     Today's actual post, is about how it's been living here, since people keep asking me.

     Answer: It's been good.

     I've been here for a couple months already but it doesn't feel that long. I don't really go anywhere, because I'm trying to save my money, and I don't have anywhere to just go to since I don't really know anyone besides my boyfriend. Yes, I am aware that going places is how to meet people, but I don't know how to talk to random people either, so there's that.

     Wolfy and I mainly watch Netflix, since it requires little to no talent to do that. But he has been trying to teach me video games. So far, the only one that I'm even remotely okay at is Rock Band, on easy mode. It's three colors, usually in a pattern. Even I can manage that, plus it involves music. Of course, saying I'm even remotely okay at it, means I won't be able to do a damn thing next time we play.

     We've randomly gone out to do things. We went to a massive outdoor mall, through the dessert, so I could go to a book store. While at the bookstore, some guy kept picking people to follow and talking about sports. Like literally, he was chasing people and talking about sports. He did that to us and there was just no good way to handle it. It's one of those situations where I would run and hide if I had been alone.

     Our roommate never leaves his room except when he goes to work at night. Sometimes, I forget that we even have a roommate, until I hear his snoring all the way across the apartment or hear the door randomly open when I'm home alone and Wolfy is at work.

     Last week, Brother came over to hang out. We went to the mall to get food, but it was really gross and neither of us got what we ordered. Even my soda was flat. Like, I know mall food isn't the best, but holy shit I'm not sure how that place is still open. While we were at the mall, we saw a giant candy thing you have to pay like 25 cents and turn the thing and out comes candy... And then we saw the names of some of the candy.

This was my food.

Crybaby Guts

Super Balls

This was less about the name and more about how they were the size of my fist.

Pucker Ups
     At the mall, we learned something. Every goth kid ever lives in this city. Not only that, but some of those goth kids, turn into goth moms. So gothy, that it was pure black makeup, drawn on eyebrows, dyed black hair straightened to death, and clothes right out of a Tim Burton movie. Next time, we decided to tally how many goth kids we see, and how many dudes wearing sunglasses inside.

     Then we wandered around aimlessly. Only two things happened. Number one, we got milkshakes. Number two, we passed by some woman's car and she was talking on the phone and said, "OOOOOOoooooooooooUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUoooeeeeeOOOOOOOOOOOhhh!" After tripping over our feet from laughing, we headed back to the apartment and saw a thing.

I had to upload that from my phone. Please don't call their phone number. It would make me sad.
     Then we watched Youtube videos and then we Skyped with Sissi, since we Skyped with Brother when I was at Sissi's house a couple years ago. During our weird conversations, we got to see our niece. My niece is going to turn four this summer, but she isn't Sissi's daughter. Sissi's family adopted me into that family, so her brother's kid is still my niece.

     She ran around and jumped on the bed and threw stuffed animals. You know, normal three year old stuff. Then she decided she wanted to type. I have a picture but it has her face, so you'll have to settle for the quotation, with her name replaced as "Niece".

Niece: c/
Niece: cunt
Sissi: NIECE
Me and Brother: OMG

     And then hysterical laughing. Then more weird conversations. Then Brother left and wasn't sure if the front door was actually the front door, even when he opened it.

     Oh yeah! And Wolfy and I finally went grocery shopping. We have more in the house than just Ramen. How many people in their 20's can say that?

P.S. Brother wrote his version of that day here. It's more detailed and hilarious.

11 comments:

  1. In my defense there were a ton of doors in that apartment. There were, like, 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in your defence, it was the only door with a lock, and you were looking outside when you asked "Is this the right door?"

      No, Brother. Wrong door. Go to the closet.

      Delete
  2. Jobs: Have a good resume and make sure you spell everything correctly. Human resources people and bosses will judge you by your resume and be aghast at misspellings, even though they can't spell.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get to work on a resume as soon as I find a place with a printer that I can use. I don't have a lot of things to put on it, besides references, but that should still be really helpful. Thank you, Janie!

      Delete
    2. You can put on volunteer work; a list of your skills, including good personality traits (I always say I'm cheerful and can work independently or as part of a team, among other qualities); any awards you've won; organizations to which you've belonged; how you've persevered to get an education.
      I hope that helps.

      Delete
    3. There are only a few of those that I can do, since I've been limited to what I could do without a diploma. But, it's all better than nothing! I will be sure to include everything that I can from that list. =)

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you and Wolfy are definitely getting in your groove...even if it includes video games, ha ha ;) But mall walking and people watching is fun!

    Interview tips: make sure to answer all the questions they ask. If you need time to think, just say that and take a second to formulate an answer. That's one of my bosses biggest pet peeves in interviews, when people just say they can't think of an answer.

    I am going to use you as an experiment to see if leaving a link to my blog works...
    Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm...that link didn't work. Let's try again!
      Writesy Daisy

      Delete
    2. Haha I'm pretty bad at video games. It probably doesn't help that I get distracted when I'm supposed to be paying attention.

      Ohh! Okay! That's good to know since if I don't have an answer prepared, I'll panic. It'll give me time not to say anything stupid.

      Yay! I'll be right over!

      Delete
  4. Interview advice: always be honest and admit when you don't know the answer, but tell them that you CAN find the answer and then explain how you'd go about finding it. At least in IT, that landed me every job I ever got, even over more qualified candidates. Being savvy and honest always trumps being a know-it-all.

    Example, after asking me a question I don't know: "To be honest, I don't know the answer to that. I don't know everything. But I'm a hard worker, I'm very savvy, and if you gave me a few minutes I could find a solution. And here's how I could find the solution..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant. I'll probably be working in a daycare (I hope) but I also know that even with that, I'll probably have to deal with using computers or phones, so that's really good to know. I should probably come up with a better, more complex sounding solution, instead of "Google it".

      Delete