Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"I'll Help You Through"

     Today, I'm doing something that I have never done on my blog before. Or on any social media website, actually. I am way out of my comfort zone and I'm hoping that it will be worth it.

     Death and grief seem to be popping up a lot lately. I can name four people (update 4/21/14: since posting I have found out about two more people for a total of six) who I know that have lost somebody they love in the past two months. I'm not the type of person who knows how to comfort people. I can make a baby or a kid stop crying easily enough, but when it comes to grief? Not so much.

     So I did two things. The first thing I started (and it was also the last to be completed) was I made a playlist of songs on YouTube that helped me through hard times. I added one song ("Welcome To The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance) that helped me quite a bit when I lost my uncle several years ago, but I do NOT recommend actually listening to it unless you can handle blunt lyrics about death. You can find that playlist here:  http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLynrZZL86f5uJ5cyZ-s06te9uY8nKrGro

     The second thing that I did, was write a poem. I don't write poetry very often but I have been trying to do it more lately. I couldn't figure out how to put it into words all together, so it is a bit choppy. Why? I wrote it in the five stages of grief, with a little extra added for acceptance and peace.

     I don't know if this will help anyone or ever make them feel better at all, but I'm still dedicating it to anyone who has ever lost somebody that they love.



"I'll Help You Through"

You can't believe the news
They were fine yesterday
Did you miss the clues?
Now they've gone away

How dare they leave you
When they said they'd be there
Look what you're going through
They aren't being fair

You'd give God anything
To have them back now
The riches of kings,
If you just knew how

The crushing of your chest
This aching in your heart
Hold it back your best
That's when the tears start

It's time to say goodbye
You won't get over it
That would be a lie
Fight through bit by bit

Find strength in happy times,
For the person you knew
It may hurt sometimes,
But I'll help you through

10 comments:

  1. Oh Heather, that's wonderful! I lost my nephew on 1/11/14. Thank you.
    Tina @ Life is Good
    A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware that I had a name change?

      I'm sorry about your nephew though. =( Death seems to be everywhere lately.

      Delete
  2. I like your poem. Someone in my family is in the hospital now, comatose and unresponsive. You helped me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost started crying when you said that I could help you with something like this. Your family member is in my thoughts, as are you.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, sweetie. I'm waiting for the latest developments. Perhaps he'll wake up today.

      Delete
    3. You never know, he just might. Miracles happen all the time.

      Delete
  3. A very emotional poem. I really liked it. I haven't lost anyone lately (knock on wood) but it's still very relatable.

    Well done, Heather.

    (That was a joke to lighten the mood)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (your compliments)
      Me: Awwww. I'm glad somebody else liked it and I don't have to edit my post to make that number higher. Where is wood to knock?

      (calling me Heather)
      Me: What the fuck? Did somebody change my name on here? What is even happening?

      (it's a joke)
      Me: Oh. Was I really just accidentally pranked via my blog comments? And that is how I know I am awake too early.

      Delete
  4. ah, the losses we bear, exquisitely painted in your poem Rachel thank you. and the title - so apt ...
    Garden of Eden Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susan! I tend to just title my poems with the last line I wrote, but I thought it fit very well this time.

      Delete