Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A is for Arizona

     I'm pretty sure that from the title of this post, you can guess that I'm doing the A-Z Challenge again this year. I'm probably insane for doing it. Why? Well, I'm in the middle of job hunting while trying to finish up the last three math courses for school. Let's not even get into the fact that I still don't have a new laptop, so my posts will either be from my phone or the laptop hooked to the TV thing (like right now, since I had to submit a job application and I'm about to ask Sissi for help with geometry).

     I sort of have a theme this year, but only because I accidentally lost the list of topics I was going to use this year. My friend Mercedes sent me replacements for nearly all of the topics. For those she did, I'll thank her, but there are so many it might as well be a theme of "Mercedes' Choice".

     Anyways!

     Today is A for Arizona, because I moved here last November but I haven't really spoken about it in detail. I was going to take pictures but since I never leave my street, I figured that should probably wait a little bit.

     I grew up in the southern states- Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama mostly. One of the biggest things that I've noticed when I speak to people, is a look of surprise the first time they hear my voice. Either I sound like a man, or they're surprised by my accent. It's only fair though, since I'm surprised by the lack of southern accents here (plural, because it changes with the state). Luckily, I haven't accidentally imitated anyone though, which I have done before (specifically when I was serving a large party full of British kids).

     During December and January, it wouldn't get very cold during the day- maybe the 60's or so. If I went anywhere, I almost always wore a t-shirt or a tank top. I felt perfectly fine, but I would pass people wearing long-sleeve shirts or jackets. I thought it was funny then but now I regret it, because it's only getting up to the 80's, but it feels hotter to me than everyone else who is used to this weather.

     Instead of huge, green trees and grassy lawns here, I see cacti, rocks, sand, and grass that's constantly being watered. We are quite literally down the street from the actual desert so that's not too surprising. Most of my friends found out I was moving and their first response was, "Arizona has a city? I thought it was just like...tumbleweed and scorpions and cactus...?" No, I'm pretty sure I live in a city with Walmart across the street, about a million restaurants, and a mall. Oh yeah, and we have indoor plumbing and air-conditioning in our apartment, not just a random shack with nothing around for 400 miles, like some people think. (...Ashley... This is your payback for being the worst texter ever.)

     I might very well melt when summer time hits, especially if I end up working in a restaurant again, because I'll be in and out of a hot kitchen. But until then, while I'm not melting or dead, I really do like it here. The people here are nice enough, except when you try to cross the road and they try to run you over. It's only rained two or three times, which is great for somebody (me) with a fear of storms. And the reason I moved- my boyfriend makes me happy, which is really the only important thing. He'll get his own post later on the the challenge though, so you can come back to see that.

7 comments:

  1. I have a sister-in-law and a nephew in Phoenix. I've been to Phoenix three times and enjoyed it every time.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you're in Arizona, you should let me know!

      Delete
    2. I'm too poor to travel. I'll probably never go anywhere ever again.

      Delete
    3. A is for "aw, I'm broke too". haha So many places I want to see, so little money.

      Delete
  2. Glad to know you're happy with your decision to move! I've never thought of Arizona that way, all I think of is the heat. I would die. I'm heat phobic, and the 105's we get here are quite hot enough for me, thankyouverymuch.
    Best of luck with The Challenge. I'm glad you signed up again. I'm also glad that your'e one of the people who will understand that I can't be by very often since I'm trying to hit so many blogs. I'm a bit intimidated as we have over 2100 this year...but I'm going to give it my best shot!
    Good luck with the math. I can help with geometry if your friend can't. That I'd take time for, for a good friend like you :-)
    Tina @ Life is Good
    A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I can't handle super cold weather without shivering, but super hot weather makes my blood sugar drop. I expect this summer to be an adjustment period for me but I'm sure I'll be fine with a lot of water and fruit. =)

      Thank you! I can't imagine trying to go to all of those blogs. I'm struggling with the five a day right now, but I will try my best! If not, well, there's always next year.

      Thank you, again! So far, I'm on the first lesson, which is sort of a review on things that I should know. I do know some (like how to find the area and perimeter of a square) but I'm struggling a bit with the circles. Hopefully, I'll figure it out tonight. =)

      Delete