Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for Barbies

     This post is one of the ones that Mercedes suggested for me to do, so thank you!

     (Also, adding to the job search mentioned yesterday, I just set up an interview for tomorrow at 2 so wish me luck!)

     When I was little, I tended to like stuffed animals more than Barbies. I'm not really sure why, but that's how I was. However, since I was a little girl, everyone would get be Barbie-related things. I had hundreds of outfits, dozens of Barbies, and possibly thousands of household furnishings. But for some reason, I was never given a house, a car, or a horse? I say "horse" specifically because my friend had a bunch and I was jealous, though I did have a few small cats and dogs. I had one toy chest for my toys and then one toy chest only for Barbie things, which was overflowing.

     My dad had a bunch of left over wood flooring, that was in sheets. We didn't have wooden floors so I don't know where it came from or why he kept it leaning against the wall in the office, but he did. My mom never used computers and he was always gone, driving semi-trucks across the country and back, so the office was never used for anything except stamp storage so my mom could pay the bills.

     So, the day he would leave, I would drag my Barbie chest into the office. I set up the wood flooring over the carpet in the office, so that the things I had would stand up with ease, and I set up their "houses" the way I wanted. I would also spend hours dressing up the Barbies in different clothes, but I never really played any games. I never made up any stories or anything. I just liked designing things and creating unique outfits. (Which is ironic since all I really wear now are jeans/shorts and a shirt.)

     We had cats at that time, and a dog for part of it, so I could just close the door and leave them in the office until my dad came home (for a week about every 4-6 weeks). Then I would put it all away and wait until he left, before setting it up differently. I had so much stuff that I could never remember how it was before, so it always ended up being different.

     When I was a little kid, my mom watched The Twilight Zone and they had an episode on there that I still remember pretty clearly. (Don't read the blue font if you don't want to know a play-by-play of it.)

     Basically, a little girl never has the same babysitter twice, so she has yet another new girl to watch her while her parents go out for the billionth time. During the course of talking, the babysitter notices a massive Barbie collection in a glass case. The little girl warns her that they're alive but the babysitter doesn't believe her, even when one of them bites her and with the girl listing off an amazing amount of details on each one. After putting the biting-Barbie back, they don't lock the case.

     They all escape. The babysitter thinks its a prank until she finds a bunch of ID's, belonging to other girls her age. When she goes to find the girl, she finds the Barbies all set up in the living room. Then they all turn to face her and attack. The babysitter finds the girl hiding in a closet, while the Barbies attack and try to burst through the door. The babysitter said that she would go find help, while hugging the little girl, only to hear her begging not to leave her alone, she's always left alone, please don't leave her. Pan away, come back, the babysitter is a Barbie. Dun, dun, dunnn!

     My Barbies, like most Barbies, had long blond hair- like the babysitter. I also had one that resembled the biting-Barbie. It's no wonder I was terrified to sleep in my room when they were all stored in the chest during my dad's off week, now is it?

10 comments:

  1. That is fricking terrifying. I'm glad I never saw that. I loved my Barbies. They went on trips and sometimes they had beauty pageants. I was the judge. I look back at the way I played with Barbies and wonder how I became a feminist.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back, it's not scary now. But to a little girl? I was between 6 and 8 when all of that happened so it sort of scarred me for life until I was a teenager. haha

      I wouldn't label myself as a feminist, but I completely agree with what you mean. Now I see how unrealistic Barbies look but how badly girls want to look like them, which I don't like at all, in terms of health and wanting people to be confident with themselves.

      Delete
    2. The Hurricane lives near San Francisco. She has told me about a well-known house on a corner in the Castro, where the owners set up S&M Barbie scenes in their front window.

      Delete
    3. ...oh. I don't even know what to say to that. That's just...wow.

      Delete
  2. Haha! I have to laugh at this. I had a very similar experience involving a Twilight Zone episode and the lasting affect it had on me. I've never liked dolls much- baby dolls especially. I must have been four or five when I saw the "Talking Tina" episode of the Twilight Zone. This was about a little girl who had a doll that came to life. And it was evil. The parents tried to destroy it, but it kept coming back. I remember being terrified by this episode. I never wanted dolls or played with the ones I had after that. I was afraid to get rid of them though, because I feared they would get mad and attack me in my sleep. I can remember many sleepless nights, waiting for my dolls to creep out of my closet and kill me. Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Somebody who can relate! I'm sorry you can because I can only imagine you were as traumatized as I was, but finally, somebody who understands! I actually saw that episode a few months ago. I'm old enough now that I wasn't traumatized, but it was startling to my exhausted mind when I did see it. I also rewatched an episode where a grandmother gives her grandson a bright red toy phone, then she died, only to call him on it repeatedly until he was tricked into doing very dangerous things. All of my grandparents were (and still are) alive at the time I saw it but I refused to speak on the phone for months, maybe even a year or two. haha My mom had no idea the terror she unleashed on me until it was too late.

      Delete
  3. I think every girl loves playing with Barbies. I still have mine from when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'm not sure whatever happened to mine. I know I gave some to friends, but that didn't even make a dent in my collection. I hope it went to a good cause though, now that I think about it.

      Delete
  4. OMG that is so funny! I so wished my girls liked playing with Barbies, but they were never bit by the Barbie bug and instead played with stuffed animals {too} and little things like Polly Pockets and anything tiny that I had to constantly remind them not to put it in their mouths! I do remember the Twilight Zone and to this day, that song freaks me out! I could never watch it without scaring myself to death! Oh the memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember really wanting Polly Pocket, but I wasn't allowed to have it. The toys were so much smaller, that my parents worried about the cats getting ahold of it, since it wasn't all locked up in a room with a closed door. It makes sense now, since I've had cats steal my lollipops and try to chew on my necklaces haha.

      I like the Twlight Zone but it always makes me think of real things. Some messages in the show (like one where a gorgeous girl was considered a hideous monster) really make me think.

      Delete