Friday, April 4, 2014

D is for Driving

     This is one of the posts Mercedes picked, to help make up for my stupidity of accidentally deleting all of my preplanned topics.

     When I was twelve, my mom had an old Buick that she taught me how to drive. We were out in the country, so far out, that people used to go camping in that area. It was a tiny hicktown that nobody ever heard of, that you can't find on a map, but we were there less than a year. While there, we were so far from the hospital as well as reliable family or friends, that she taught me how to drive the car in case there was an emergency. (Did I mention it's a hicktown so cell service is basically non-existent?)

     I really only knew the basics. Gas pedal, brake pedal, how to turn the wheel, that sort of thing. I couldn't have told you what any street signs meant, aside from the MPH ones, considering there just weren't any out there.

     We moved before my next birthday, to a big city. The worst part in the city as for crime (I was once involved in a car chase, a drug bust, and other drama all in one weekend- come back for my O post for actual details). Since there were actually cops always being called always in the area, I wasn't allowed to drive, for obvious "please don't arrest me" reasons.

     I started bugging her around the time I was fifteen to reteach me how to drive, but then our car not only completely died, but went away and was never heard from again (we sold it for parts)... And there wasn't a new car to be found for two years. I was pissed. I was already out of public school, I wasn't legally allowed to work yet, and I didn't have any friends left in the state anymore. That was my only chance (in my eyes) to do something a normal teenager would.

     When she finally got a new car when I was seventeen, she still wouldn't teach me how to drive. All she did was let me drive the trailer park that we lived in (and she used to manage- oh so much drama with that, but so many legal reasons I can't talk about it now). I didn't even get my state ID until one week before I flew to a different state to see Sissi. I didn't even have the plastic copy. They almost didn't let me go home because all I had was a paper copy and nothing else to prove I'm me.

     I drove that damn park for a year before she let me get my permit. I had black hair so it was sometime when I was eighteen or maybe just turned nineteen. And then she would just tell me to take the keys and go do what I needed to do- never mind the fact that I didn't know enough about the road signs and I wasn't allowed to drive more than 15 MPH in the park (which was technically speeding).

     My old manager yelled at her when I didn't have a ride home from work one day. Not only was I taught to drive within the month, but I had my driver's license last summer, within two or three months of the yelling.

     The instructor actually said, "You only got an 86 on the test, which means you passed, but it also means you're rusty or you don't have much experience. Are you able to drive a lot?" He looked over at my mother, who appeared to be having a panic attack. "Nope." I replied. He looked at my mom again. "Let me talk to her." And so he did.

     After that, I was able to drive myself, which was good since I worked 20 minutes away from home. I didn't make enough money for any other mode of transportation and I had no idea I had a friend who lived about ten minutes from me (and that another one moved there a week after I moved here). I was also sent grocery shopping or to pick up whatever was needed. I only ever took the car twice to do fun things, unless I was going back to the restaurant to meet friends.

     Why?

     As I said, I discovered that I hate driving. I won't speed because I've only driven the freeway twice (once with my mom, once by accident when I got lost for one of the fun things and I almost started crying) so I'm not used to driving above 45MPH anyways. If I don't have every aspect of the road memorized, I stress the fuck out.

     Not to mention, people are idiots. The last time I drove, on the way back from the second fun thing and during a light rainstorm, some asshole cut me off three different time within thirty seconds. We almost crashed each time and I was forced to run a redlight since I couldn't stop without causing a serious wreck. That was before I moved. I've never driven Wolfy's car because I can walk basically where I need to go, or I don't know how to get there. I hate driving now, especially because people here are even worse drivers, and I really don't want a repeat of The Driving Dumbass.

8 comments:

  1. Drivers can definitely be crazy. I'm glad you're able to walk where you need to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So am I. I know I'll eventually have to drive again, but for now, I am perfectly happy with walking.

      Delete
  2. How did you delete all of your posts? That sounds awful. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I should have been more clear. It was the topics that I deleted. I had a note on my phone. I was deleting an email account from my phone that only alerted me of junk anymore so it was killing my battery with no use. I didn't realize the note was attached to the email account and when I realized it, it was too late and the damage had been done.

      Delete
  3. I was lucky. I grew up on a farm so I learned to drive early--tractors, pick up trucks, anything that had a gas pedal and brake. To this day, however, I will not drive on a freeway in California. Way too scary...

    Nice to meet you on the A to Z trip. Hope you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate driving on the freeway. I completely understand. Good luck with the Challenge!

      Delete
  4. Hi there!

    I am also doing the A to Z Challenge and focusing on picture books because I am a children's picture book author. Good luck with the challenge!

    Take care,

    Donna L Martin
    www.donnalmartin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Good luck with the Challenge and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete