Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G is for Gardening

     This is another post that Mercedes suggested for me. I'm sorry I've been slow on comments. Wolfy is sick, I've been preparing to start a new job tomorrow (btw, I got the job!), and I am severely sunburned to the point I can barely move (please don't suggest aloe- I'm allergic to that and cocoa butter).

     But gardening... I'm both very good at if and very bad. I personally think that it's funny how I can be both.

     Did anyone else have to do the projects in school where they grew a plant with a seed, a wet paper towel, and a ziplock bag? When we did that, my little plant always grew extremely fast and would usually end up being one of the largest plants out of the class.

     Later on, my mom had a bunch of plastic cups and some left over dirt and seeds, but I don't remember what from. Maybe a garden at our house? I remember only planting them with supervision because we had a problem with tarantulas and little brown snakes that resembled worms, plus copperheads at a neighbor's house.

     I didn't have much luck with it outside, probably because I forgot about them, but I had about 20 plastic cups all around my room in the windows. Every single one had rather large flowers starting to bloom before we had to move. It was actually quite shocking since I did the work myself (it was part of the deal to give me the supplies, that it was my responsibility) and I don't remember doing much.

     Cut to several years later and we went in the trailer park. It wasn't a nice one when my mom took it over and other than cutting the grass that the owner pretended we even had, the people living on the lot had to do it themselves. So I bought a bunch of seeds, some soil, and got to work. It took me hours digging up everything (autocorrect tried to say "everyone"). I got extremely hot even though it was early spring. I was so proud.

     Then a bad storm came and washed everything away. By the time we realized the seeds were gone, we had storms every week so it was pointless to try again. We bought a rose bush and even that couldn't survive the harsh rain.

     The next year, the same damn thing happened. You might have heard about those storms. The April 27 tornado outbreak that left people without power for days or weeks (we were five days). I'd spent close to $40 on the area, not including a small wooden fence to keep bratty kids out of it, that said bratty kids kicked over because they were in serious need of a spanking (and that's coming from somebody who says that's only saved for severe things).

     Year three and I gave up. I planned on moving soon anyways. It was pointless to me. Wanna guess what happened? The pot with the rose bush popped up with flowers. I never planted flower seeds in it, only the rose bush. In the garden? A flower in each corner and weeds. I just kind of threw my hands up, looked at the plants that were mocking me, and said "You win. I give up. You're on your own."

14 comments:

  1. It's funny that you posted about gardening because I was going to post that but then changed it to share the blessings of my daughter, Gianna. I too am not much of the gardener, but each year, the kids and I try to plant different things and the only thing I ever seem to grow is cherry tomatoes! If you ever need a cherry tomato... I'm your girl! I hate watering them and pulling weeds....if they are going to grow, they have to deal with drought and weeds! Happy gardening! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of cherry tomatoes, but my grandmother LOVES them. If you have a basket laying around, let me know and she'll be happy to have them. haha

      Delete
  2. As a gardener, I know the frustration of which you speaketh! "You're on your own," is one of my commonly used phrases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's reassuring that I'm not the only one. I thought I was just unreasonably frustrated. haha

      Delete
  3. I can only grow things that I leave on their own too. Those plants, they know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just easier! I think the plants just take pity and grow to save trouble.

      Delete
  4. You want to come and do my garden? I'm hopeless and I hate it so my place looks like an overgrown jungle most of the time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha With as burned as I am, I'm too scared, but thanks for the offer.

      Delete
  5. Great last line. My gardening skills have improved over the years.

    Over from the A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was never allowed to garden. I think it's too late for me now. It's too late for a lot of things, and I'm too tired. Congratulations on getting the job.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is too late if you're willing to try.

      Delete
    2. I found a few things out and it was too late to change. And it was heartbreaking. But I understand what you're saying, though I don't understand by personal experience for something like that.

      Delete