Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Z is for Zzzz's

     Another topic chosen by Mercedes but I think she meant something along the lines of sleeping or dreaming. Me being me (and slightly fucked up in the head), I'm going to tell you about a nightmare that I had a little while ago. I say it's a scary story but honestly, it's probably only scary when you think it's actually happening. You'll have to excuse details that don't make sense, since this is something I made up while I was asleep.



     Wooden panels, big windows, wooded area, nobody around for miles... That was what we saw when we drove up in his old car. It used to be a restaurant but it had been closed down and condemned in the last year. I wasn't sure why we were even there. I knew basically nothing of the place, only that I had agreed to help him with a project before we were supposed to go to somebody's birthday party.

     "What exactly are we doing here, Wolfy?" I asked him, as we both closed the car doors. He stopped though, to get a bag from the backseat of his car and shut that door a little louder than was needed.

     "This is the place that made so many people get sick or die last year. The radiator was shooting out a bunch of chemicals that ended up poisoning people. It's why it was shut down." I watched as his face changed to a look that I never saw on it- a look of sadness that I never wanted to see again. "It's how my brother died. There was somebody on the news who ended up having a leg amputated because she had a cut on her toe that got infected when she came up here on a dare. She died in a freak accident last week. We need to make sure that nothing like that happens to anyone else."

     I fully agreed with what he was saying. If people were still getting sick or dying or losing limbs, then it had to be put to a stop. I expected to see him pull out something flammable from the bag he had grabbed, but it was spray paint. I stared at the cans, blinked, and looked at him with confusion. He was kidding, right?

     "If we paint over the radiator, then it should at least hold it back some, until the city gets out here to destroy the building." He said it as though it was obvious, but I still didn't fully understand. Even so, I thought of the victims to the place and took one of the cans from him.

     We walked inside. It was pure white all the way around, with little white specks in the air. Wolfy had pulled his shirt over his nose and mouth, so I did the same. The light was awfully bright in the building considering it wasn't very bright outside. Perhaps the sun had finally come out from behind the clouds. I noticed there weren't any tables, chairs, or decorations, but assumed it had all been taken when the owners were shut down.

     "You know, people say this place is cursed or haunted because so many people died. I think the last count was forty-eight." He told me. I couldn't believe it was so many people but the building was still standing. 

     Wolfy walked right over the radiator and started spraying it with white paint. The light reflecting off such bright white completely around the room made it hard to see anything clearly and I was dazed for a few moments.

     "Are you going to help or not?" Wolfy sounded more annoyed than I had expected him to.

     "Sorry, I got distracted." I told him, shaking up the spray paint. I walked to the other side of the radiator where I could see the opening for it to shoot air out into the building.

     No sooner had I started spraying the paint, than a gust of wind blew open the door. My hair blinded my view, but as I fought it back, the paint specs swirled around a figure standing next to me. I screamed but whoever-whatever- it was had vanished by the time Wolfy looked over.

     "It's just wind. The sooner we get this done, the sooner we can leave." Wolfy told me, but I was done. I had seen enough. Whatever the rumors were, were there for a reason.

     "Lets just go. I'm sure nobody else will come up here." I tried to reason.

     He got far more upset than I expected him to. "You can go wait in the car. I'll do it by myself." He had never sounded so angry.

     I cringed back. "Can we please just go? I have a bad feeling about this."

     "Fine." He relented. "I'll meet you at the car. Go get it started." Wolfy tossed the keys to me and by some miracle with how much I was still blinded by the room, I caught them.

     The last thing I wanted to do was leave him alone in the restaurant but his tone hadn't left room for an argument. When I stepped outside, I was surprised to see how dark it was still. Why was the building so light inside without power but it was so dark outside? The wind sent a chill down my spine and I got back into the car.

     I felt eyes on me and I looked up. Was that a shadow in the trees? I couldn't be sure but I started the car. Why was Wolfy taking so long? I looked up at the entrance of the building and didn't see any signs of movement.

     One song played through on the radio before I reached for the door handle to go inside and check. As I did, the door to the building opened and I saw Wolfy standing there. His expression changed and I was not sure why he suddenly looked terrified, until I realized he was getting smaller and smaller. I spun around in the passenger's seat and saw that, yes, the car was rolling backwards.

     Panic filled me and I saw him waving his arms, yelling something that had to have been telling me to stop the car. I climbed over the arm rest and to the driver's seat. The car was still in park but I could hear the engine revving. I slammed my foot down on the brake but the car only went faster. I slammed it down on the gas, just to be sure, but it went faster still. I used both my feet and the car finally stopped so hard that I was thrown against the seat.

     It hasn't occurred to me that the radio was no longer playing music until then. It was static, hints of music here and there, like it was searching for the right station. A cliched demonic laugh played through the station and I heard the same voice say, "Ten points".

     I looked up and saw Wolfy directly ahead. The car revved loudly and I was thrown back into the seat again as it went forwards. I slammed my feet on both pedals but the car only went from twenty to thirty to forty. I grabbed the parking brake but the car went from forty to fifty to sixty. It was not stopping. I grabbed the wheel and turned as hard as I could, but it barely moved.

     Sixty, seventy, eighty.

     When I looked up, I saw Wolfy had run to a pile of hay around a tree. If he didn't move, he would be cut in half. It barely took any time for me to be close enough to start screaming and be heard. Still, he did not move. Instead, he started making hand motions, like he was strapping himself down. I grabbed the seatbelt and buckled it.

     The second I heard the click, I felt the crash. The hay slowed the car enough that the tree did not damage more than the front, but the seat belt made it hard to breath. The passenger side door opened and I screamed, but saw Wolfy. Before I knew what was happening, he had undone the seatbelt and yanked me out of the car.

     I tried to catch my breath. I looked down, never being more happy to see the ground or itchy hay than I was at that moment. A folded, small piece of paper was hidden in the hay. I leaned down and picked it up, but Wolfy took it from me.

     "This is the phone number the the place my brother was treated before he died." He sounded confused.

     We didn't have time to think about anything else before we heard the sound of an engine behind us. We both spun around, ready to run, but the dump truck was not headed directly at us. Instead, it screeched to a stop. A tarp wrapped around it hid any driver from view. After a few moments without any sign of movement, Wolfy took a few steps towards the truck. I opened my mouth to tell him to stop but no sound would come out. He ripped the tarp off of the truck and my hands covered my mouth.

     The sign on the dump truck saying he company was the same as the birthday girl's name. The door opened and another piece of paper fell out. It was identical to the one I already held.

     "Call it. I think they..it...this thing wants us to call that number." Wolfy told me.

     I took my phone from my pocket and struggled to dial the number with as much as my hands were shaking. Once it was ringing, I put the phone on speaker so we could both hear it.

     "She's next." It was the same voice from the radio. It had the same laugh and then the phone disconnected. My single was gone.

     Wolfy and I looked at each other before we both started running towards the road. The only way to warn her would be to get to the party.




     This would be the part where my eyes flew open and I thought that Wolfy and my friend (the one I went to the concert with) were in danger. Nightmares are not fun times.

Updated: My brother pointed out how little sense it made and I agree. The best thing I can figure is that my brain created some sort of Final Destination scenero with all of the people getting sick in a freak accident, but then after killing off the survivors, it decided that wasn't enough. So, it decided to take revenge on the people who visited the area and when killing the people didn't work the first time, they would suffer (ie- losing a leg or their friend dying) before they were the target again. Sort of like some really bad SciFi movie, I guess. (But the special effects in my mind were much more along the lines of Stephen King level. Too bad the story wasn't though.)

6 comments:

  1. That's certainly an adrenaline-pumping scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be why I woke up in a cold sweat with a pounding heart and wanting more sleep. haha

      Delete
  2. You're right, I don't entirely understand all of it (dreams are always like that, aren't they?), but the descriptions in this were really well done. Read like an excerpt from a novel. So in that regard, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you! I wasn't expecting such a high compliment! I still don't fully understand the dream but I think with some tweaking, it could make a half decent scary movie (or camp fire story haha), but it still doesn't really make sense. (Still better than Twilight though.)

      Delete
  3. Everything's better than Twilight. I agree with the Beer Boys - really well written down. I find it fascinating to try to interpret dreams. This one was definitely scary, but would make a great short story. You should flesh it out. I know of an online magazine accepting stories - it's where I sold my first one! Let me know if you're interested and I'll hook you up with the details. Meanwhile, great job!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    On the Open Road! @ Join us for the 4th Annual Post-Challenge Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not 100% sure if I'll publish it, but I'm definitely going to flesh it out and see what I can do about getting it to make sense. And perhaps replace the characters with, you know, fictional people. haha I'm glad you liked it though!

      Delete