Monday, June 23, 2014

Gum

     I have a whole list of things that will make your servers hate you, but this is just a quick note.

     If you go out to eat and put your chewed up gum under the table, your server hates you. Guess what? Anyone who sits there after you hates you to because their hands accidentally brush up against a chewed up piece of gum, covered in your spit. Hopefully only your spit and it wasn't a shared piece of gum.

     We have 49 tables where I work. I checked 42 of them because the other 7 were occupied. 8 of those 42 tables had gum underneath, despite having been checked last week.

     Your server is the one who has to clean it up. We also don't like your nasty chewing up left on the side of your plate or glass. We have to scrape it off the plate before passing it to the dishwasher, who will look at the sticky remains and know it will have to be washed more than once to make sure it's all gone.

     So what if we use cloth napkins?

     Take your gum chewing nasty ass to the bathroom and throw it in the garbage, like you were taught to do as a child, asshole. There's a reason teachers never allowed gum in class and I am one piece away from starting a petition to ban it from restaurants too.

     The only appropriate place for your gum is in a napkin, in the trash. Don't know where it is? Ask.

     But do not, under any circumstances, leave that shit anywhere except a trash can when you leave the restaurant. Or I can promise you that every single person who comes in contact with it will hate you and wonder where your parents went wrong.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you have to put up with this, but your last sentence made me smile. I detest gum. People who chew it look like cows chewing their cud. It's also bad for your jaw. I am grateful that I was not allowed to chew gum when I was growing up so I never developed the gum habit.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was allowed gum whenever I wanted, which wasn't actually very often. My mom told me that if I EVER put it anywhere besides the trash can, I would be cleaning it up with my bare hands, during something that I was looking forward to (a birthday party, instead of playing with my friends, etc).

      Delete
  2. I'm not a server, but I am on your side. Wonton gum disposal is a sign of, not just low class, but a lack of empathy. A close second to improper gum disposal is open-mouth gum chewing. It makes me want to slap the gum out of their dumb slack-jaws. This is why I switched to mints. And I hate mint. But it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I hate that too. Especially when you can see the spittle flying out of their mouths but they're oblivious to it. Ewww!

      Delete
  3. I think it's disgusting where people leave their gum. They have no consideration for others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people just spit it out outside and it lands on things like the sidewalk, birds think it's food. Then they get trapped with their poor beaks stuck to the ground. Use a trash can or swallow it, but don't be gross or inconsiderate.

      Delete
  4. That's horrible. Some people don't have any manners at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amazes me. When I was little, people used to tell my mom that I was really polite and respectful. I never understood why until now. It's because I listened because I knew that I would be in trouble otherwise, but a lot of people think, "welp not my problem anymore!"

      Delete
  5. Hah! Yeah, never been much of a gum chewer. It blows my mind when we're at amusement parks how many people think it's just okay to stick their gum to a wall. What is up with that? I mean, seriously. The gum pandemic is almost as bad as the cigarette butt issues. PEOPLE, I don't care if you smoke, YOU CAN'T LITTER. (Rant done.) =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I didn't know that I had another comment here! Welcome to the blog with the insanely long name!

      I know exactly what you mean. My mom does that. It caused a lot of arguments between us. It's bad for the environment, it can cause fires, and it can hurt animals if they get ahold of it. Not to mention the fact that it looks trashy and gross. I saw something about a new invention for putting plant seeds into cigarette butts, so when they're discarded (like they will be, since there are just too many people who smoke to stop them all), then maybe a plant will grow there and it won't be all bad.

      Delete
  6. This is just one of the many reasons why I hate gum, period. Another alternative is to not chew it prior to going out to eat in the first place. You're already going to be eating something in less than 30 minutes, so is there a reason why you need to chew on gum right up to that moment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand why it would be chewed on a plane or to get rid of bad breath, after you just ate a hamburger with extra onion and garlic fries...but other than that, please no. It's just going to be left on the ground or under the bottom of a tabe where some poor person is going to have to scrape it off. Hopefully, it doesn't get on shoes or touch somebody's hands. I am all for using DNA tests to make offenders serve community service of scraping up nasty gum from places.

      Delete
  7. That is truly a bizarre thing that I've never been able to understand. Why would anyone smush their used gum on any surface and leave it? Is their home wallpapered in gum?? No, of course, not, because it would be gross to leave smushed gum all around your own home. But out in public it's fine? So strange. I am very thankful that I don't have to clean up other people's used gum! that is definitely a job hazard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If somebody did wallpaper their home in gum, wouldn't it attract bugs? Also, would they get stuck if they tripped and landed against the wall? Would they need help to make sure that gum never got stuck in their hair? I have so many questions now.

      Delete