Sunday, December 21, 2014

My Favorite Christmas Memory Blog Hop

     Well...hi there. Remember me? I may have gotten a little distracted by work...again. But today, I'm going to be joining a blog hop by my wonderful bloggy mom, Janie Junebug, and the lovely Cherdo!



     Today, I'm going to tell you about my favorite Christmas memory.

     I had to think for quite some time to figure out what my favorite memory is. Most Christmases were spent with my dad's side of the family. Enough said on that matter. My mom always tried extra hard when I got to spend the holidays with her, probably because of that.

     A couple of years ago, when I was still a teenager, I got to stay with her for Christmas. It wasn't traditional at all.

     We had a bunch of kittens (our two cats gave birth AND a stray cat ran into our house and little mini stray cats made their way into the world, all within four days) so we couldn't really have a tree. Lord help us if we had tried.

     We didn't have an oven that we could use at the time because her dad had hooked it up. Literally, everything he had touched in our house, broke. It was a gas powered stove so we weren't willing to take any chances.

     We didn't have any family in the state anymore and not a bunch of friends that we would really celebrate such a big holiday with.

     I almost wished that I had gone to see my dad, just because it seemed liked we were going to have a super craptastic holiday.

     We woke up early for the parade and instead of traditional food, she made meatloaf in a little toaster oven. She shaped it like a snowman, which to this day, is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. We opened our presents, though now I don't remember what they are. We watched movies, but I'm pretty sure they weren't Christmas related.

     It was the weirdest Christmas I've had but that day was so special because, despite how badly everything seemed to want to go for the holiday, my mom did everything possible to make sure that I had a good memory. That's what the spirits of Christmas means- giving your all to make your loved ones happy.

22 comments:

  1. How sweet, and you're so right. Snowman shaped meatloaf- hmm? That does sound creepy - but was it good?(smile)

    Merry Christmas. It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious! Nobody else has been able to make a meatloaf I've liked.

      Nice meeting you too!

      Delete
  2. You are so spot on for Christmas by turning this memory into something positive and respectful to your mom. Have a wonderful Christmas celebration this year creating memories for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope she enjoys the post also. I was hoping that she would read it and the memory would make her smile like it did to me.

      Delete
  3. This is a great post; so personal and real. I love it so much that I am going to make snowman meatloaf next year (I've got a huge ham already this year, and darn it - they have to eat it or take it home).

    Moms are like that...they're like Weebles. They wobble, but they don't fall down.

    I think your Mom was wise and had a huge heart. How lovely for you.

    Merry Christmas and thanks for participating in our first bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to need you to send pictures of it. I remember taking pictures of hers but I think they were on a phone that has long since broken.

      If you have any left over ham or get sick of eating it, feel free to send some my way!

      Thank you for being a host! I love the theme.

      Delete
  4. I'm not even gonna lie, I want a snowman shaped meatloaf now. I only wish this post had a picture of it.

    And cheers to that - as long as you've got good company, any Christmas can be a good one. Speaking of which - have a Merry Christmas! I'm going to spend mine with friends, family, and a certain Venus fly trap that's gotten big as hell and is loving life. Now if only I could do this to him...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQO6V9FZGuI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew what happened to the picture or what phone I used to take it. I would have gladly included a picture if I still had it.

      Oh, the flytrap! I feel like I should do another contest now. They were so much fun too do.

      Delete
  5. That's really sweet :) For sure, spending special time with loved ones is the most important part of Christmas. That's why spending time with my crazy family is often forgetable, ha ha :)

    But just the fact that there were a million kittens would have made me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were SO MANY KITTENS! We couldn't walk without them swarming our legs and trying to climb our pants. We gave as many as possible to good homes and ended up keeping a couple for months, until they found good homes too. It taught me a lot, but mostly, KITTENS.

      Delete
  6. meatloaf snowman :)
    such a sweet memory!.. the effort made .. yes I would remember that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The effort made means more than all the fancy things my dad always tried to buy. Because you cannot buy love.

      Delete
  7. I love where you went with that ;) Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that forevermore you will have good memories of your mom. Thanks for hopping with us.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good memories of my mom and my blog mom.

      Love,
      Rachel

      Delete
  9. A meatloaf shaped like a snowman? I think that is cute and it's funny how so weird or Horribly wrong a Christmas seems to be going often turn out to be the most special. It really is about the spirit of giving and making that effort to do so...one notices this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When things go as planned, sometimes it's just too perfect and you're along for the ride. When things are insane, you make it up as you go and tend to have fun with it as you do.

      Delete
  10. I love this! It sounds like a such a special day. She made the best for you out of what she had.

    And for the meat loaf, I’ve heard of this!! My aunt-in-law makes FEET loaf every Halloween. She shapes the meat loaf like a foot and then puts little onion slices on top of the toes for toe nails. Bleh!!!!!

    Merry Christmas girl. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ick! I don't think I could eat a foot. I think I'll stick to the snowman...

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  11. A meatloaf snowman. Now that's something you don't see every day!

    Merry Christmas, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete