Thursday, March 12, 2015

I'm A Grown Up Now

     My mom suggested that I write this post months ago, but I'm only just now getting to it. Because I'm lazy and also it's always a shock when I do something that would be on this list. Why? I'm an adult. I've been a legal adult since I started this blog (I think?) and I've been living with my boyfriend for a year and a half. But I'm always shocked when I act like a grown up.

     I have to call for take-out now. I can't make my mom do it for me. I also have to answer the door and pay the delivery guy (with tip, because I'm not a total asshole).

     I have to make dinner or convince my boyfriend to make dinner, or we don't get dinner. I think this is the biggest downside to living like an adult.

     I have to work 5-7 days a week, depending on what's going on (since now I'm manager of my store!)

     If I'm not at work, I still have to do things like laundry or we won't have clothes to wear or cleaning so we don't live in ickyness.

     If I commit a crime, I actually have to get the adult penalty for it. I can't pull the, "I'm underage, have pity on me!" card. (Not that I've ever been arrested.)

     I have to go to the bank to withdrawal or deposit money.

     I have to pay stupid things like rent and electric and Hulu. (Wolfy pays for Netflix.)

     It's up to me to get wherever it is that I need to go, by the time that I am supposed to be there. Which also means that the alarm has to wake me up now.

     I have to go grocery shopping, which I fucking loathe with the passion of a thousand burning suns because I live on the third floor apartment. (Wolfy helps, of course, but still that's a lot of stairs for even half of the groceries.)

     I have to call doctors and dentists and optometrists all by myself to make the appointments that I need.

     I use words like "optometrist" instead of saying "eye doctor".

     And, this year, I had to file taxes. Last year, my mom still claimed me. But no, this year, I had to go to H&R Block and have them do all the paperworky things for me because fuck that, I filled out my W4 wrong so I needed help.

     I guess I'm actually not a kid anymore, even though I still say things like "ickyness" and "paperworky". Who woulda thought?

14 comments:

  1. It's a horrifying realization when you recognize your adulthood. Hold on, you said "Not that I've ever been arrested," which implies that you may have committed some crimes, but just didn't get caught. Are you a criminal mastermind? Are you the head of some Ocean's 11 style criminal enterprise? Who are you robbing!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't check that hidden stash of money in your mattress if I were you... But you can't prove anything!

      Delete
  2. Don't you wish that the realization came all at once - like a taser? It would help with future decision making, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BZZZZZ OW SHIT
      I am now an adult, and as such, I shall get a full time job, marry, have children, and do taxes. GET OFF MY LAWN YA LAZY GOOD FO' NOTHING TEENAGERS!

      Delete
  3. My baby girl is almost 2 and it still feels weird when I think about everything. Maybe we don't wanna grow up ;) lol

    I realize I am an adult when I add up all my bills. It sucks but when you owe out over $4k a month in expenses and you spend every day making ends meet. :( I miss living with my mommy and daddy. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even make that much in a month! Hell, I made like $6000 in one job and $2000 in the other last year. I think you need to move down here where it's cheaper!

      Delete
  4. I don't know how I missed this post yesterday. I guess I'm not grown up enough to find all the posts I like. Lots of people have difficulty doing their taxes, so don't feel bad about that. You're grown up, but don't be afraid to skip and twirl in circles till you get dizzy and fall down. Enjoy what's left of childhood.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably the best advice I've gotten in years.

      Love,
      Rachel

      Delete
  5. The day I knew I was an adult was the day I realized I COULD have cookies for breakfast... and didn't. Because I shouldn't. Sad but true story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a giant brownie for lunch yesterday (with a cup of Mac and Cheese). I had ice cream for breakfast this morning.

      I'll admit that I'm an adult but I'm not a very good adult.

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the world, baby girl. Who said that? I forget now. But I will never forget the kind and thoughtful comment you left on my post about my husband's illness. And, you know, I never realized that I've been doing all those things you so aptly describe in this post all of my long life and that I, in fact, enjoy most of them. I will become a follower of your blog, simply because I want to find out what you will be up to next. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'm worth the follow, in your eyes! I sincerely hope your husband is doing well and on the way to recovery.

      Delete