Thursday, April 2, 2015

B is for Book

     So, during my adventure from yesterday, I bought a book. It's called House of Leaves and it's by Mark Z. Danielewski. I have no idea how to pronounce his last name.

This is the book.
This in the book on the page where the author usually dedicates it to somebody.
I like Mr Danielewski's sass on this.

     I mainly bought the book because my friend said that it is fucking weird, unlike anything she's ever seen in a book, and she has no idea how to even read it.

     She even tried to tell me the general plot behind it and she couldn't. All she could finally tell me was that if I wanted to understand the complete weirdness, I needed to buy it.

Even the pages are set up to be weird.
I literally just turned to random pages and had no trouble finding the weirdness.
Okay, this only is slightly less weird but not really when you can read it clearly.
The words are actually upside down.

     I made it passed the first "chapter" and I barely comprehend what I read. I'm still struggling. This is the type of book where you need to be fully awake and energized to read it, not the type of book you can just read before bed. It also makes your mind go crazy trying to fully soak in everything that's being said because there is just so much.

     But damnit, I will finish this book.

11 comments:

  1. I think I would rather be reading a book that doesn't require too much thought right now...I'm on brain overload!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It requires so much thinking that it's hard to explain why. The irony.

      Delete
  2. I am going to have to check this book out!

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Vampires
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I recommend it! After chapter one, though, I have no idea. If you read it, let me know what you think!

      Delete
  3. I really don't have that much time on my hands, haha. But have fun with your book! Happy A to Z-ing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I may have to wait for the A-Z to be done before I can get to chapter two!

      Delete
  4. Wow. I think I'd have to be institutionalized after reading that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I already need to be, so no worries here!

      I think there's a glitch when you leave comments? I ALWAYS get two comments from you and just delete one haha.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own this book! I haven't read it yet. I got it for Christmas... Oops.

    We should make a play date with our House of Leaves books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in!

      It will involve sweet tea, junk food, reading, and "wait what the fuck did I just read"!

      Delete