Friday, April 17, 2015

O is for Orthodontist

     I was in braces for two and a half years.

     It was an extremely long time to go without peanut butter, gum, or biting into an apple. Though, to be fair, I still can't bite into an apple because I have a perminate retainer glued to my lower teeth.

     My dentist was the husband. My orthodontist was the wife. And my oral surgeon was their best friend. They all knew me by name, to the point that they would ask how the dogs and cats were doing and if I liked my newest hair color/style better than the last one.

     At one point, they were all trying to get me on their team to play pranks on the other two.

     Granted, I didn't enjoy having my wisdom teeth surgically removed, my incisors cut open to cut the tendons, my teeth being yanked out because I have a tiny mouth, or my braces being tightened every six to eight weeks...

     But I really did get to know them and I can actually say, since moving, that I miss seeing them on the visits.

     I saw them through two kids, a new partnership, moving twice with the second time being a brand new building that they built from the ground up, and a whole bunch of stuff in my life.

     Not many people are lucky enough to have a situation like I did and without them, those two and a half years would have been hell considering the fact that I was terrified of dentists before I moved to Alabama.

7 comments:

  1. I used to really like the dentist I see now. But last fall I had a bad experience when getting a crown, and now am not too sure. But it is great when you have someone you trust like that for those types of situations. If you have time you should stop by and check out my O Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my tooth team! I hope things get better with your dentist!

      Delete
  2. That's interesting that all the mouth doctors you had were related or friends. Glad they were nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went something like this:

      Dentist: Well, your teeth are in great shape but you seriously need to get into braces or that won't last long. Let me introduce my conviently orthodontist wife...

      Orthodontist: Your teeth are moving great and you'll be out of braces soon, but your wisdom teeth are growing in sideways so it will be best to get them out before getting the braces off. Allow me to introduce my conviently oral surgeon best friend.

      Oral Surgeon: Well, the surgery went fantastic and you don't have anything to worry about in that aspect, but you should make an appointment with my conviently dentist best friend because you may have a cavity coming in and should watch out for it.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When people are in your mouth it's nice that they care!!!
    Happy A to Zing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! If they didn't care, I would have had a problem!

      Delete