Tuesday, April 28, 2015

X is for X's

     Or rather, exes. But shut up. This is a hard letter.

     I don't have any exes but enough of my friends have had them for me to have an idea on how not to treat them. Basically, how not to be an asshole to somebody you once liked enough to be in a relationship with.

1) Don't share or post any sort of pictures or videos of them. Especially the naked kind. Those should be deleted in front of that ex so they know they will never need to worry about it.

2) Don't start rumors. Whether or not they're secrets or made up or even common knowledge, you shouldn't be talking about them behind their back.

3) Once it's over, don't keep begging them to get back together. Either prove that you want to be with them or back the fuck off. 

4) Don't get with their friends or family members. Like, seriously, that's just wrong.

5) Even so, if you aren't with them anymore then you have no right to be jealous over who they are with. You're allowed to be pissed if it's a friend or family member, but not jealous.

     There are plenty more things, but this about sums it up. I can't imagine not being in a relationship with my boyfriend, but if it ever came to that, I feel like staying his friend would be the only thing that would keep me sane.

     When you're in a relationship with somebody, I feel like they are such a big part of your lives- how could you ever betray them or go out of your way to hurt them? That includes cheating and abuse.

     So, don't be an asshole.

10 comments:

  1. Good advice! I've never wanted to remain friends with ex-boyfriends. They went their way. I went my way. I have no idea what they're doing, nor do I care to know. It's better that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's different for every person, but I truly believe that if you can't run into each other on the street and have a civil converstion, something was done wrong by somebody.

      Delete
  2. What about if you're married to someone for 30+ years and you promote his career and have children with him and then finally the truth comes out and you learn he's psychotic and you take care of him until he understands that he's not God but after a while he stops taking his medication and turns into a major jerk who says nasty shit all the time?

    What were we talking about?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are special cases. Also, on a related note, I'm a very good shot with a pistol.

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of the song "All my exes live in Texas". It's pretty hard to not talk about exes when you have been "wronged"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just don't diss them in front of the children - each child is different but they often associate themselves with one parent or another - if it's the one being denigrated, it's like it's happening to them and affects their view of themselves. Trying to just keep it between yourselves and being polite in front of the children is paramount. ~Liz http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com (website, Blogger will take you somewhere else!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not even fully that, though it has a lot to do with it. A good portion of it, is that there is a good chance both parents are complaining about the other one, to the child. The child is stuck in the middle and doesn't have anywhere to turn because of it. They feel trapped, helpless, and like an abomination because they are half of each person. (Been there, done that.)

      Delete