Monday, April 18, 2016

O is for Organization

     Lately, I've been trying to get everything around me more organized so that my head might feel the same way. I feel overwhelmed and like my thoughts are all over the place so I've been trying to figure out the best way to calm that down.

     At work, my coworker has been organizing the front of the store so that things are easier to find for us and things we don't use often are out of the way. She's found two full shelves and completely cleared them so far. She also started with the sale room so that we now have much more floor but it's not quite as organized. Mostly things are just boxed up.

     I started on the rest of the back room on Saturday. I rearranged a lot of heavy boxes and labeled everything so we know what's going on. I'm also going to make a personal to do list for myself to check every day so I don't get home and think, "Fuck! I forgot xyz!" (Note to self: Make bank trips more often.)

     At home... It's a struggle. I've gotten my closet organized again. (By style and color). But beyond that, I don't know where to begin.

     I have to early days off this week. Who has some killer tips that'll help me get my living space more organized without making me lose my mind? I actually quite like organizing when I get a consistent thing going on, but I'm not sure how to do that with several different rooms.

     Also, my biggest problem is time management. I work 6 days a week and the hours vary but normally it's mid shifts Monday and Tuesday, opening shifts Wednesday and Thursday, and 7-9 hour shifts Friday and Saturday (usually either closing or almost closing).

8 comments:

  1. Great pick for the letter "o". I'm pretty good at organizing things, but not obsessive. It does help to have those nice boxes for items that you can't hang up, etc. You can label them and place them on a shelf. I use them for purses and scarves and swimwear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will need to invest in some of those. The shelf above my closet is very crowded. It's neat, but very crowded.

      Delete
  2. In addition to organizing my closet by style and color, I use sleeve length. If something doesn't fit right, I give it away. I have built-in cubby holes for my shoes. I know you can't do build ins, but lots of sites sell fairly inexpensive shoe organizers. What about under-the-bed Rubber Maid containers to store clothes or linens that are out of season? Can you put some inexpensive shelves in the closet? I'm big on well-organized shelves. I'm unhappy with my office supply shelves in my home office. No matter what I do, they look messy. Last week I ordered some bamboo pieces, such as corner shelves, a sectional thingy with pieces that can be moved to change the size of the sections, a pen and pencil holder, and a turntable. I have cheap cardboard or plastic versions of some of these items. They don't do it for me. I hope the bamboo makes me feel better. Time management must be awful with your crazy hours. Don't give up your sleep to do other things. Tired people make more mistakes. Happy Organizing!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't build any shelves into the walls because I am renting an apartment, but we could probably get something more like a book case and use it essentially the same way. We don't have an under-the-bed because the mattresses are stacked on top of each other (no bed frame) but I know we are planning on changing that. I can't wait to use that as storage space.

      I also hope you like your bamboo!

      Love,
      Rachel

      Delete
  3. You know what annoys me I can spend hours organizing my cupboards and a month later it looks the same old mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. I have really good intentions to keep up with it. It may not work, but I feel like I just need to do it.

      Delete
  4. My wife is the cupboard monitor. Wherever something is taken from, it goes back in the same spot when put back. It's a simple concept, it just takes some intention to make sure I do it.

    I have learned that clutter increases stress. Keep things cleaned up and you generally feel better. It's much easier to do when there are no children running around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have any children, but we do have two hamsters. I'm going to blame them for all of the clutter, despite having no real logic behind that. I just don't want to accept responsibility.

      ...We don't have children but maybe we ARE children...

      Delete