Thursday, February 2, 2017

Dear Tina...

Dear Tina,

I've been waiting a very long time to tell you about this. Far too long, in fact.

We became friends a long time ago. I think it was back in 2013 after you hosted that years A to Z Blogging Challenge and I participated. We commented on each other's blogs regularly and then traded emails and eventually phone numbers.

You said that the one thing you wished most for me (besides health and happiness, of course) was that I would finally get my high school diploma. You were a tutor for years and used all of your experience and expertise to teach me over the phone and through pictures. You were the first person to explain math in a way I understood it.

We shared life stories and laughed together. We cried together and comforted each other the best we could, swearing one day that we would meet in person and hug it out.

But we never got that chance.

I was one of the last people to contact you that night. I sent an email, ranting about something stupid that I don't even remember now. I knew you would listen to me and offer advice- you always did and always made me feel better.

But you weren't the one who replied. It was your sister, replying for you and saying that you were in the hospital with some bad stuff going down. You told me you loved me and would email me again soon. I replied right away, saying I hoped you would get better soon.

The next morning on Facebook, I saw the news, and my heart fucking shattered. 

I've never stopped missing you. I never will.

But today I wanted to tell you something very important...

 

 


I did it.

Love,
Rachel


Positive thought for today: Seeing sunflowers never fail to remind me of a wonderful person I had the honor and blessing to know.

12 comments:

  1. This accomplishment makes me very proud of you. God bless Tina for getting you started.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mama. You would have loved Tina.

      Love,
      Rachel

      Delete
  2. You're AMAZING- LOOK at that GPA! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, I can't believe I almost missed this. Congratulations! That is truly awesome! And for the record, your GPA is WAY higher than either of ours ever was (not that that's saying much).

    I still think of Tina too, especially since my parents grow sunflowers. Every time I see them, I think of her and grin. I miss her too, but it's good to know that you're bettering yourself and carrying on in her honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, boys! I really wanted a 4.0, but I only had 2 B's and I'm pretty proud of that. I tried my best and that's all I can do.

      I live in an apartment now but I think if we can move into a house (after we sell half our organs, a few miscellaneous limbs, and our souls to afford it), I would like to plant some sunflowers. They always make me think of her and how loving she was.

      Delete
  4. This post broke my heart, and then healed it, too. Are you secretly Wolverine, and I'm secretly Rogue?

    ReplyDelete