The title makes this pretty self explanatory. I started working in an Italian restaurant as a runner/hostess (eventually to be a server) about three and a half weeks ago. Since then, I've learned a lot. This will probably be a series of posts, especially if I'm struggling for NaBloPoMo. Let's start off with these:
1) You will not realize how hot the kitchen gets until you are in there for a full shift and then realize that you may very well melt before it's time to clock out.
2) The bread ovens will not stay open by themselves and it will burn you to touch them to push it open.
3) Do not push the bread oven doors.
4) Mr Fix-It was not lying when he said he jumps out of the bread ovens to scare people
5) It is fucking hilarious when Mr Fix-It jumps out of the bread oven and scares people.
6) Cannelloni is not pronounced like cannoli.
7) Minestrone is pronounced "mini-strone-y" not "mine-strone".
8) Just because you're wearing no slip work shoes, does not mean that they are "no slip". Wet floors will be slippery no matter what shoes you're wearing.
9) As a runner, you're kind of the servers' bitch.
10) Number 9 isn't so bad when the servers are nice and say "please", "thank you", and "I'm sorry for asking".
11) Wiping down menus is probably the easiest job, even though it's insanely tedious.
12) Wiping down menus is also very nasty because people get chewed up food in them.
13) I do not like wiping down menus.
14) Plates break every day and the first question asked is, "Is everyone okay?" not "Who did that? You owe me money!"
15) Some of the bitchiest customers leave the best tips.
16) Most of the bitchy customers are people who think pocket change is $20 bills and have never worked a day in their life.
17) Feel bad for the bitchy customers because they don't know how to deal with people.
18) Most customers are nice and like to joke around.
19) Nice customers like smartass runners because they laugh.
20) Do not call the customers "customers". They are "guests".
21) If you are a runner and the server fucks up three tables, you will be the one fixing every little thing but sadly, your boss probably won't see so you won't get the tip that you deserve for fixing the table that the server fucked up.
22) That's okay though, because if they come back, they may be some of your repeat customers and that means you will get tips.
23) The trays are very hot.
24) The trays are extremely heavy.
25) I do not like the trays.